Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 68 camaro with a mallory unilite 9000 distributor. I am in the process of getting the car back on the road after countless hours of engine rebuilding and body work. the thing is that i can start the car by putting a screwdriver in the ignition and i would hate to see all my work go bye bye because i dont have a kill switch or some other safety device. I would like to know what are some ways to hook up a kill switch? thanx Nick

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have 2 kill switches in mine...

One is a toogle that is inline on the neutral saftey switch...

The second is a switch mounted where the cigarette lighter light goes...it cuts the ground wire from the distributor. Works well...I forgot to flip the switch when I was firing up the car last week...ran the battery down quite a bit before I figured it out. Do a search, this topic was covered with some great ideas not too long ago.

Good Luck

Bob

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
Install an ON-OFF toggle switch capable of 15 amps, thereby good quality, in the power wire to the ignition. No power, no ignition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everett what color is the power wire to the ignition. im not too good with electrical thanx nick

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
I'd use the original resistive ignition wire, the one covered in cloth, on the original harness. It went from the firewall plug above the left toe board to the distributor location on the engine. I would check the Unilite instructions to read what MSD had you do with the original wire harness when converting to Unilite ignition.

Or any one of the wires of Unilite harness from within the distributor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a mallory distirbutor but it was really easy to hook
red +on coil
green -on coil
brown ground to block
and just hook it up just like any other distributor. so i just have to splice into the wire that has that braided cover on it and run the switch to the inside of car.....right?
thanx Nick

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
Correct. Take the terminal and hook to it, run wire inside to switch, then back out to MALLORY Unilite. Be sure to insulate the connection(s) well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will let u guys know how it goes when i hook it up this weekend.....thanx for the help
Nick

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the kill switch is now in and it works pefect thanx guys
Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts