Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I have a 67 camaro,396, with HEI that I want to put a kill switch in as an anti-theft device. Can I splice into the red wire that goes from the firewall to the distributor and install it in-line there? Thanks for any help or ideas that you can offer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yes you can. Another option is to ground one terminal on the switch and then run a wire from the other terminal on the switch to the tach terminal on the HEI. It's the same as holding the points closed on an older style distibutor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just keep in mind that the steering wheel and the hood on a 67 camaro do not lock. So even if you have a kill switch, a thief still has access to the engine compartment. So whatever changes you do to make a kill switch, try to make them unnoticeable (grounding the tach is probably the best bet). Additionally, never ever leave it in a place where you can't keep an eye on it for an extended period of time as a thief can either push it somewhere else or can have it towed.

·
Retired
16,030 Posts
Also try the 'search' feature here and in Bench section, there have been some VERY creative kill switch discussions over the years. They are a creative bunch out there

·
Registered
819 Posts
One I remember from a few years back is for non-smokers. You put a momentary contact push button switch in the bottom of the cigarette lighter socket so you have to either push in or pull out the lighter to enable the ignition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great ideas. Click, I did a search in the bench racing section with "kill switch" and "shut off switch" and there were no matches. Can you think of any other clue words?

·
Retired
16,030 Posts
try 'car alarm' I found a dozen threads with that one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not to sound like the guy who doesn't use creative and free methods to solve a problem, but here's what I use:

A Clfford Intelliguard (circa 2001) car alarm. It has the regular car alarm stuff, plus ignition kill and car jacking features.

Regardless of whether the alarm is "on", each time you start car, you have 20 seconds to punch in a sequence of button pushes or the car will shut off. Same sequence required if someone opens a door with the car running (carjack). 20 seconds to input code, if not, car shuts off in another 20 seconds.

In addition to the ignition disable, it also shuts off the electric fuel pump. Several problems for a would-be jacker.

With these type of alarms, you can add on features as well. I opted also for the tow away disable feature: If the car is jacked up (lifted) more than 3 degrees or 3" from its parked position, it disables.

Also, for $80 per door, I can add electric door locks. I haven't yet, but it could be a neat feature in a vintage car.

It was a little pricey (about $600 installed) but it's good piece of mind knowing it would be VERY hard for someone to steal the car. Plus when you consider the thousands of dollars invested, it's really not that much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts