Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
were thoes caught out of Lake Erie or Lake Ontario? They look like Great Lakes salmon I used to catch as a kid when they would run in the rives and streams in michigan.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Joe, You know I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a salmon filet today. Tom

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Sweet. Hey everyone, Joe's having a TC barbeque!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
If they're anything like the Chinook here in the NW, they fight hard! I love salmon fishing. I smoke em up usually, but the scales hurt my throat
Anyway, great job Joe! Enjoy...

Dano

·
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
69 CamaroRacer, you're right.... they're Great Lakes Salmon. It's Lake Ontario at Breeze Point. There is one lake trout in the bunch.... it was the first fish caught and the only trout of the day.

You got it Tom! I'm trying to figure ou the best way to freeze them so they'll last. I was told by the captain that if I don't have a vacuum packer, to fill a bag with water, put the filet\steak in, seal the bag so the fish is covered in water and let it freeze that way.
Someone else told me to soak them in milk overnight, then freeze them and it takes the 'fishy' taste away.

Rick, 2 o'clock.... fish on the grill this afternoon! Everyone's invited!

Hey Dan, they put up an OK fight I suppose. It was hard to tell really. We caught most of them at around 50-75 feet but the lines were out anywhere from 250-500 foot! There wasn't much fight left by the time they got to the back of the boat. I think I was more worn out than the fish. ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
is that a blue sky in the background ?? look's like sunshine ??? the tv say's it may not rain here today ,,,, just some hail :rolleyes:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'll be chasing the Kings out of Grindstone City (Lake Huron) on August 27th. We rented a charter. I used to have my boat rigged up with the downriggers and I had all the equipment but it was just too much work. Plus we were never very successful. I decided about 2 years ago that it was more worth it to just toss a pro a few hundred dollars every year and have him do all the work.

Nice porkers by the way!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey, that looks like one I caught:
King Salmon

Only a little smaller. :D

If you want to catch a King Salmon, ya'll need to come up to the Kenai River in Alaska. We have the big ones! I don't mean to downplay your King. That is a nice fish!

·
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I hemmed and hawed when the skipper asked if we wanted to keep any. I was even telling the guys on the way there that I wouldn't eat anything taken out of the lake. But they talked me into keeping the fish anyways. I was in it for the fishing and hanging with my best friend.... not the eating part. The trip was a combination last hurrah\birthday present for my buddy that's heading to Irag in a month.

We'll see if my family grows extra fingers and toes after we eat some. But the government has cleaned it up quite a bit in the last decade. And with Kodak going under, as well as other big businesses on the Genesee River, there's not nearly as much environmental crude running off into the lake. ;)

We did nickname my catch though, because it only had ONE eye..... my buddy Ken named it Sammy Davis Salmon.

·
3,176 Posts
Its all cut and packed away already but at 54" long and 33 girth, it was something to bring in. I got skunked last year. You should have seen the halibut my kids caught and then one of the guests 180 LB Halibut. That thing was huge!!!

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
Holy Moly, Jeff! :eek: :eek: That is one big King!! A buddy of mine goes out 2 times a week off of Half Moon bay, the salmon run is great this year, he limits every time. (they run 18 to 35lb) he just dropped off two for me...one to smoke and one for steaks.... hmmm...good eatin' maynard!!
Mike :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where abouts do you live in Kenai, GW? I have a summer home here on the Kenai River [on Funny River Road] in Soldotna. We had 4 Team Camaro members up to visit last week. Drop by sometime...

Steve Sandlin

1 - 20 of 30 Posts