Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard of KMJ performance tubular control arms? These folks are selling 2 upper arms and 2 lower arms including free shipping for only only $349. To get all 4 arms through Global West would cost you about $1200 bucks plus shipping. This seems like a less expensive alternative but thought I would see if anyone has experience with the KMJ arms. I tried searching for "KMJ" but got no hits.

Here is the link to check them out.

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=4531&cat=0&page=1

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
They look like the e-bay arms people have spoken much about here. There have been many topics posted about them. I am not normally one to say do a search but i would suggest one on this topic. Might try searching e-bay control arms or something like that??

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Hey Joe, those are the ones I put on Bone's black 68. And of course he brought them over the day after I changed the front springs out!! Hahaa

No problems installing them (other than having to lift the engine halfway out of the car on the LH side to clear the headers and PS), but I don't know if the quality or geometry are any good. They lowered the car a little, which I thought was kinda strange.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Hey Joe, those are the ones I put on Bone's black 68. And of course he brought them over the day after I changed the front springs out!! Hahaa

No problems installing them (other than having to lift the engine halfway out of the car on the LH side to clear the headers and PS), but I don't know if the quality or geometry are any good. They lowered the car a little, which I thought was kinda strange.
Ok then I have some info. The spring pockets in these will lower the car. Bones car had small block hotchkiss and as Dave says it did lower it.

He removed the springs and went with QA1 coil overs from my 67. I took cash and the Hotchkiss springs for my coil overs and the adjustment brout it back up where it needed to be.

If these are used you will need stock height spring, not sure of the moog number people use that is popular. This spring I think would keep the height lowered but ok due to the control arm lowering the front due to it's pocket or geometry.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Yeah, the spring pocket is the only thing I could think of that would've changed it since the springs and spindles were the same (Well, that time. I had that front susp apart many times!!). I didn't think to compare to the stock control arms.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
The consensus I have seen on here from folks who know about theses things are don't trust your car and you or your family's safety to cheap A-arms. Buy a quality set from one of the reputable names - they are just too important. Uppers are the only ones that are really necessary. You can use stock lowers to save money. Check out David Pozzi's site about first gen suspension and how to make it better.

·
10,142 Posts
Lots of discussion about knock off A arms here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127967
It's unknown what their quality is. I have heard the ball joints in them are absolute junk. One question you need to ask yourself is, can you install them, then drive the car hard and feel safe, or is it going to bother you? Chances are they will work OK but I have no info to base that on. Arms like these are showing up all over the place and in Catalogs like Speedway Motors. I think Summit Racing has some too, but a different mfr. You might call and ask them if they have verified the quality of them.
I can only recommend A arms from the known Mfr's for obvious reasons. But I do understand cost is a bit issue for many. Tubular uppers are of benefit to achieve more positive caster. Tubular lowers generally don't have any geometry gains, but some like DSE & Hotchkis have the lower ball joint moved slightly forward, & upper rearward to keep the spindle centered when you set more positive caster.
David

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I decided to buy a set of the KMJ control arms. I will report how the install and performance of the arms goes over the next few weeks as my front end rebuild get completed. I am not a drag racer or intend to push my car hard into corners since I am more of a cruiser. For $299 I figure I will get them a shot. Stay tuned for feedback.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
let us know--i was looking at those too--i have bought many many parts from kmj and they havent let me down but they do sell alot of pro comp stuf that i stear away from-i am going cris alstons tubular arms,coil overs and 2" drop spindles comes with good ball joints all for 1400

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Well, I decided to buy a set of the KMJ control arms. I will report how the install and performance of the arms goes over the next few weeks as my front end rebuild get completed. I am not a drag racer or intend to push my car hard into corners since I am more of a cruiser. For $299 I figure I will get them a shot. Stay tuned for feedback.
From what I have heard you will need ball joints, as the ones that come with the kit are junk. I have a set of TRW's upper and lower for both sides, and I am local. Let me know if you are interested. I will let them go for a deal. I bought 2 sets and I ended up going a different route. I also have outter tie rod ends if you are looking.
Cheers!

Eric

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called the rep at KMJ and ordered them directly. One thing he told me what that the arms provide a 2 inch drop from stock. My car already has a pretty good stance but I expect it is due to the fact that the springs are pretty tired. Therefore I ordered stock height springs instead of drop springs from classic industries. Here is a pic of my car before the front end rebuild and I will post a pic of my car after the rebuild to see what the difference is.

I disassembled the entire front end last night so the car is ready for new parts once they arrive. I will try to post pics of the assembly as I go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i bought a set of these arms also car is in paint shop so wont get to install mine for a while wondering if u got to install yours @ wondering about the stance

·
Registered
107 Posts
well, throw my name into the hat as well, I purchased off ebay,($269 inc/S&H) a set identical to the ones in Brians link in post #1. Definatly made in china (it says so on the box).
For me, at least, I think you need to know how you intend on driving your car when it comes to selecting what types and brands of parts to purchase.
I'm not a suspension expert, but I have been around hotrods and the aftermarket industry for 35 yrs...seen alot of whoodooy stuff I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw it, and I've seen just as much that even though much less exspensive, did just as good a job as the higher end stuff...it's all relative to intended use and proper application of common sense as well as correct installation. Even the best built, most exspensive equipment will fail, if you beat on it hard enough. Would I use these particular components on a car that was going to see track time or even severe street use?...probably not. But for casual cruizing around and just normal driving...absolutly! I chose to go with these because I am going to need to replace all the bushings and ball joints anyway, there are some built in benefits (the 2" drop and improved geometry)and of coarse there is the visual impact of having "high tech" suspension components on display when you pop the hood or look under the car. I'm waaaay past that time of my life when I drove the crap out of my car, now I just want to look cool cruizing around town, not trying to prove anything to anybody, don't care if your car is faster or corners better on the track...that's not my style anymore...so I think these control arms will work out just fine...I guess time will tell. I'm in the body work phase of my build, and progress is dictated by weather at the moment, so I'll do my suspension stuff when it's appropriate for my schedule, I'll post pictures and report any glitches I run across as I go. I've already come across several threads concerning the use of these control arms, that is going to save me some headache and time, as I've been forwarned of potential issues, as with the cross shaft inserts cracking on earlier production units, and lower ball joint clearance issues with certain spring/wheel tire combinations. This forum and the people that share their experiances here have proven to be very infromative and helpful. Some folks watch the news in the evening to unwind and relax, I spend that time sifting through the numerous threads and topics here, and have found it to be time well spent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I finally got my new control arms and the rest of the new suspension components installed. Quite honestly the install of the new arms was very easy. They fit perfectly with very little rubber mallet coaxing. They obviously look much better than stock arms although please note that I am not trying to build a corner carving race car. I simply want a better performing and aesthetically looking car from stock without spending big bucks like you would on DSE or Global West. So far so good. I am buying 4 new tires today and then it is off for an alignment. Once the car is drivable I will post more feedback. In the meantime here are some pics of the new arms and suspension.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. So I have about 300 miles on the new suspension and I am very pleased with the control arms. The fitment of the arm bushings into the frame was perfect on both sides. I figured this would be the sign of poorly made arms but the tolerance was great. The alignment went perfect with no issues and the extra camber seems to help the straight line tracking. The new steering box adds a little more stiffness to the steering which is a good thing. A new 14 inch steering wheel is on the way which will help a little bit more in the feel of the steering. Overall I am very glad I chose these arms. I know there is an application for the $1400 dollar arms but if you are looking for some nice tube arms just for street driving car I wouldn't discount these. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer. Overall I give these arms a solid A. However, I am looking forward to seeing how they hold up over time.

My website with pics of the arms is:
http://home.comcast.net/~brian.stanley/site/?/page/New_Suspension_Pics/&PHPSESSID=43656304925ec05ba6b47859f148a67b

1 - 20 of 78 Posts