Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z28 has a loud knocking problem comming from the driverside valve cover, this is the second time this has happend in 3 months, the first time i found out it was a broken lifter which cause a dead cylender in # 7 so it was fixed. thenn 2 months later the same problem from what i can hear, what is causeing this lifter to keep breaking?? a bad camshaft?

1995 Z28 6speed, 110,000 miles on body 10k on remanufactored engine, K&N cold air, flowmaster catback.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
where`d ya get the engine???sounds like the lifters are inadequate for the cam lift, or spring pressure...did you have a motor built??have them install a performance cam???where in ct???i`m in new london....

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
what did the wear pattern on the bottom of the bad lifter look like? Nice and round and pretty, or a straight groove?

Is this a solid?

Pull the valve cover on the bad side, check and set the lash. If the same one that was a problem before is the problem this time, hang it up and go in for an exploratory.

Fire it with the valve cover off and makes sure all the pushrods are spinning. Pushrod not spinning, lifter's not spinning. Lifter not spinning = bad lobe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im from Stratford, CT, i actually bought it in Norwich ct in early october, the guy said it was remanufactured which i belive because its very clean and my mechanic opened it up, im pretty sure its not a performance cam. I havent had time to open it up yet to see if its the same one but i have a feeling it prolly is, the old one was pretty much chipped pretty bad. Im not an expert with working on cars but i no enough to fix most things, is this something i can do on my own? or should i have a mechanic doit to be safe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts