Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Chevrolet RS Camaro
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 RS Camaro with a 350. Got new aluminum heads with roller rockers, mid-range cam, and timing chain. Also added a serpentine belt system. I noticed the belt was squealing and so I bought some belt dressing, and that makes the belt stop squealing, but then I noticed the air conditioner compressor was stopping occasionally and the belt is like bouncing on the long run side, so I tried tightening it while the motor was running. As I was tightening and could see the belt was still bouncing, the motor started knocking. Very lightly at first, but the more I tightened the belt, the louder it knocked. It was knocking enough that it was scaring me that I was about to cause something to break internally in the motor, so I backed off on the belt. The knock sounds like it is coming from the driver side of the motor, but no idea what it is or why it would be knocking when you tighten the belt. First time I've ever seen or heard anything like this. Any ideas what this could be and how I can tighten my belt without getting that knock and possibly tearing something up? All help is much appreciated.

·
3,386 Posts
It sounds to me like your AC compressor is getting ready to lock up. There is probably nothing at all wrong with the rest of the engine. Is there any way you could run a shorter belt that bypasses the AC Compressor ? If so try that and if the problem goes away you know for sure that the AC is the issue.

·
Registered
1967 Chevrolet RS Camaro
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would just have to get a measurement for a belt without the compressor in the loop and order one, but the knock is coming from the driver side of the motor and the compressor is on the passenger side. I figured the compressor was stopping occassionally because the belt was slipping on it, but you may be right about it getting right to lock up. Hope not though, it is only a few months old.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
102 Posts
I got a lot of "slapping" noise out of my March Serpentine until I spent time milling shims to make the pulley alignments near-perfect.

I do recall it not being obvious at the time that it was the belt was making all that racket. I had much unwarranted concern over what might be wrong with my SBC ZZ4/350. I believe the belt was riding up the pulley endplates and making the loud popping noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts