Team Camaro Tech banner

Koni shocks...any advice on how to set-up?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DjD 
#1 ·
Just got mine today,instructions are unclear as to how to set them up...since they're adjustable...any advice?

#2 ·
hey john, ive had them on my car for about four years now. ill try and find the info sheet and get back to you , but if i rember correctly you fully extend the shock and turn(twist) it counter clockwise to stiffen it up .opposite for..well youknow. or your instructions will tell you how many turns ..i think is the max ,,ill go and look for my sheet....doug

#4 ·
Yes, but where do you start? Do you install the shocks, drive some, and then determine which direction to adjust the shocks?
I have Koni's for my car, and have been considering these same questions. Can anyone speak from experience of a good starting point?

#7 ·
Here's what I found John... I had the Koni's set to the mid setting with the stock springs (urethane bushings on the leafs, rubber up front). Handled good, rode ok and didn't feel like it was going to slip cornering on a bumpy surface from being too stiff. Added Hotchkis drop springs front and rear and left the shocks on the mid setting. It was too stiff and felt loose on bumpy surfaces around corners. The Budnik wheels softened it up some but it still just didn't feel like the car wanted to stick cornering on roads that were not very smooth. I set the shocks to the light dampening and am really happy. The car sticks on bumpy corners now and the ride is very nice too.

I have no doubt that on a smooth track surface I would run at least the mid setting, just not on the street. You'll be faster in the corners if your suspension can keep up with the road and keep the tires planted.

There are only 3 positions so it sounds like doug is in the middle up front and full dampening in the back...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.