Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,

This may be a stupid question but I almost have my car finished & am about to order a set of Koni adjustables for the front & rear. This car will be going to the strip occasionally & I wanted to see what your opinions were as to if the fronts I was to wind them back to the softest position if that would be good enough to let the front raise up & if it would be similar to running 90/10's or just get a set of 90/10's sent out when I get the Koni's ? It will probably only go out to the track a couple of times a year so it not just a race car but for the sake of buying a set of $60 90/10's I would like to get the most I can out of it. I have a set of Jegs subframe connectors in the car & was also looking at picking up a set of Caltracks for the car !

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Double adjustable shocks are going to be pricey and even the best wear out. I have never used Koni name brand shocks personally but the advantage to spending top dollar for a set of quality shocks can be felt in the seat of the pants two ways; performance and the pinch on the wallet. I use Bilsteins shocks because they offer a life time warranty. If the shocks ever have to be replaced they pay for the next pair, not me. They are betting I will not keep my car that long, but I am going to keep it for the rest of my life, not just the cars life time.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a set of Koni's in my other car for 13 years without a problem so I am willing to spend the extra to get a set for my current car but what I wanted to know was will the adjustable Koni's work similar to a 90/10 if they are wound back to the softest position just to run it on the strip ? If they are not going to allow the front to come up like the 90/10's do I will order a set of cheap 90/10's !

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Scotty - Koni makes a 3 way adjustible shock (Classic) that is a street performance shock. I run mine on the light setting for street comfort and because the next setting is too firm and the car really takes it on bad toads. Trying to corner on a typical bumpy road on anything but the light setting in the rear caused the back end to want to come around and teh front end liked to push until I wentr to the light setting. The classic's are great shocks and I would think the middle or firm setting would work great on a road track where the road is smooth in the corners...

I kow you are wanting something that will allow weight transfer for the drag strip, my story above is the clue. Great driving shock, not a drag shock. No the Koni's on the light setting won't work like a 90/10 shock.

If you are only going to the drags twice a year I wouldn't worry about having the front end lift unless you plan on swapping shocks each trip. The Koni's have to come off at least part way to adjust anyway. From the other side you don't want to run drag shocks on the street, the charistics of drag shock could make taking evasive action on the street dangerous.

Personally unless you are looking at 12 sec or better times and much more frequent track visits in your bird I would build it streetable and not worry so much about front end lift and weight transfer.

Before someone gets on me because this is the performance forum, if you are the type that likes to drive a poor handling, designed for the track type classic because you only take it out tues and thur to the burger joint and back my advice isn't for you...

If you have a sway bar Scotty you'll be wanting to get rif of that if you want front end lift or at least unbolt the end links...

Koni also makes a drag shock (spa1) but you won't want to run them on the street as well... Here's more on the spa1.
http://www.koniracing.com/pdf/spa1.pdf

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys ,

The car is set up to be sreet driven. It will be lowered a couple of inches , have the Koni shocks , has a heavy duty front sway bar , has 255 / 45 / 17 tyres , has new disc brake set up on the front , has Energy Suspension bushes throughout , has a 3.73 Posi 12 bolt , Turbo 400 with 3000 stall & a 400HP approx 406 so it will be a car that handles , stops , rides & accelerates well in all of these aspects.

But ,I would like to get the most out of it on the strip by just changing tyres & maybe the front shocks & removing the sway bar ends ! I do not want to make the car do nothing well except for drag use as it will be used on the street more than anything else !

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I run my Koni SPA 1 shocks on the street with no problems. I used to switch back and forth but got tired of that a while ago :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
rancho rs 9000 9 way adjustable shocks are great ..Had them on my nova streetcar that ran 10.50s 129mph 1.52 60fts ..Easy to change setting with a dial for the track and back for the street at about 80$ a peice there hard to beat..

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
If the rest of your suspension and tires aren't set up for drag racing then adding drag shocks isn't going to help. I see you have low profile tires and big sway bar/s. Neither are good for drag racing. Everything has to work together, if the tires won't hook, you will never get the weight transfer and if you don't get the weight transfer the tires aren't going to hook or stay hooked.

With that said 90/10's are not bad to drive on the street and most are adjustable I used to adjust mine back and forth for street and track. I finally just left them set on 90/10 and the car handled fine. If I were you I would probably passon the drag shocks only because you are not going not get the most out of them. Another option is single or double adjustable shocks (the ones with the knob/s) you can adjust them to work for all conditions and the amount of adjustment is very wide. They are not cheap but, what a few hundred at this point?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts