Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 camaro car i just purchased has a set of KYB gas shocks on it....can i get some opinions on them and what they would use if they don't recommend them. car is lowered 2" in the front with coils and 1" in rear with blocks.
Thanks everyone:beers:

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
If they are KYB gas-a-justs you might as well throw them away. I wouldn't feel right selling the set I have. I have heard the KYB GR-2's are ok. My car is a cruiser, so I have Monroe Gas shocks. Bilstein shocks are very good and so are Koni's.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I would second that statement! I have replaced the rears with adjustable 9 position Rancho RS 9000 series to go with the caltracs. These are beefier and allow for highway and track drivability if that need be the case.

The Front shocks i am about to change out to Bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have KYB Gas Adjust on my 67' and although the ride is a bit stiff I haven't had a problem with them. My car is somewhat of a performer (400hp 350, nicely built suspension with tubular control arms, Eibach springs, Hotchkiss sways etc.) but certainly not a pro street or street strip. I guess if you were building something like that then you'd want something better. IDK, they seem fine for my application.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
If it is lowered and you want awesome shocks go with KONI yellows. They are adjustible, but expensive. Not sure of all of their applications.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the KYB gas-a-justs on my 69 teeth and car rattling stiff. Ya, they work find and I sold the car that way but they are STIFF! I have Blisteins made for Hotchkis on my 68 and like the ride much better and they came in their TVS package and they handle corners well so far. Check these posts out:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=172173&highlight=kyb+gas
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166894&highlight=kyb+gas
Someone on the first post you linked, liked the GR-2 KYB's?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I replaced my KYB Gas-adjust with Bilstein/Hotchkis and see no difference between the two.

There may be a BIG difference but I sure can't feel it in the corners, bumps or other driving...

Just my .02 cents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts