Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of my '69 Camaros, I have an L72 COPO block. The Camaro is a Yenko clone, and been restored very close to Yenko (COPO 9561/9737) specs.

Looks like the heads are shot, and I might have to repair the block. While the engine is apart, this might be an opportunity to upgrade some things (lifters, cam, distributor etc.), while maintaining the stock look/appearance.

512 Block
840 Heads
163 Intake
6223 Crank
Correct Distributor, Holley carb, Stock Exhaust manifolds, Solid Lifters, M21 trans.

Any recommendations for upgrades while I have it apart this summer?

I am not going to change to a modern block. I want to keep the stock appearance.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh well. This is the 3rd or 4th post in a row from me with no responses.

I am just trying to learn more about Camaros, as I am very new to this hobby.

I will keep quiet from now on.

Sorry for the bother guys.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks like someone installed a seat in the head that's leaking, probably not worth trying to fix at this point. How's the other head?--shouldn't be any reason you couldn't source one replacement casting.

Hard to say on the bore, can you feel the anomaly with your fingernail? If the bore is damaged, you can probably sleeve it.

Don't give up on what you have, you can make some outstanding power with mostly factory components with just a little refinement.

Here are two builds I've done that you might find interesting--

1969 396/375 L78 build

My own 600+ HP/TQ 496 using 100% stock factory heads & intake

Be sure to note how much power was found on the 496 build just by refining the combination. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do the same extensive testing on the 396, but there was definitely considerably more power left on the table.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Oh well. This is the 3rd or 4th post in a row from me with no responses.

I am just trying to learn more about Camaros, as I am very new to this hobby.

I will keep quiet from now on.

Sorry for the bother guys.

The forum is slow on weekends, esp in the summer - everybody's probably out in the garage trying to find their oil leaks.

Problem with a question like yours is that you'll get as many different opinions as you get answers, then you'll have to figure out whose advice to take. Can be confusing for a novice.

Your problem could be as simple as a failed head gasket, but you won't know for sure until you get the heads/block inspected by a pro. I'd hook up with a good local machinist and discuss options with him.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both heads were in bad shape. I found two similar date coded 840 heads and already have them. I can definitely feel the anomaly with my fingernail. Block is going to the machine shop on Monday. Hope it is only a sleeve at this point.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The forum is slow on weekends, esp in the summer - everybody's probably out in the garage trying to find their oil leaks.

Problem with a question like yours is that you'll get as many different opinions as you get answers, then you'll have to figure out whose advice to take. Can be confusing for a novice.

Your problem could be as simple as a failed head gasket, but you won't know for sure until you get the heads/block inspected by a pro. I'd hook up with a good local machinist and discuss options with him.
Thanks to you both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts