Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 Camaro with the original steering gearbox that needs to be replaced. I want to stay manual and was wondering if anyone had experiance with the Lares part #1276. It would be nice to have a more responsive gear, but is this 16:1 ratio too fast a ratio for a manual box. Anyone with experiance with this one? Thank you!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think that one is for a car with a little lighter front end....Vega maybe? Lock to lock would probably be about 3.5 turns or so and I bet it would feel great going down the highway. What will increase is your effort at the steering wheel. I think Sean who is doing the SB2.2 transplant got one for his car but hasn't run it yet. As long as the box was built strong enough to handle the extra torque applied through it to turn the front wheels of the heavier front of a Camaro at standstill it would probably be a worthwhile tradeoff.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yes, as Steiner said I have a similar box on mine, I'm not 100% sure if it's Lares or not, I bought mine through Classic industries, but it probably is. It's a 16:1 manual.

Mine is p/n 525161, comes with the rag joint but no ground strap provision, for 344$. Check out the discount codes section on here and there always seems to be 20% off Classic.

Unfortunately work is really getting in the way of my hobby.... :eek: , so I have yet to finish the car. The motor is about 90% now and getting close, I just ordered some last bits and pieces yesterday, I'm hoping by the end of summer though. I really like the way the steering feels sitting, and it really looks a lot cleaner in my opinion.

I'm actually pretty excited to try it out, the factory power steering got kind of old to drive once I started making a little horsepower.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just ordered one from RockAuto so I hope it's not too "quick" for a manual box...or maybe I'll just have to hit a gym a little more! Hopefully I'll be able to report back that it's a great option for those of us that want to stay manual. :hurray: That's not me clapping...it's me exercising getting ready for the new box!

·
Registered
191 Posts
old thread bump- hey Hugger- did you ever get your 16:1 manual box installed? how do you like it? how's the quality? i'm interested in Lares box from rock auto as well. I had my 69 out yesterday (96 lt1 &m21 4 speed) w/ power steering and the steering is so touchy it does not inspire confidence. my wife drove it and she even said the thing is way too twitchy. I used to have a 440 70 cuda with power and did'nt like it either and switched to a 16:1 manual from firm feel and loved it! felt much more in control and in my opinion as long as your not parallel parking every 5 min. the extra arm effort was not that big a deal. thx

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not installed it yet. It's now painted and I just received my Iditit column so hopefully I will have it in soon. Will report back once complete.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, it's installed and I drove it this evening, and it's a good thing I go to the gym! I have 245/60-14 tires and until the car is moving, it's a bear to turn. Once moving, it's very nice and responsive. Tonight was my first drive with it and I'm sure it won't seen as hard after a time, but going from worn out 45 year old steering box to this one, first impression is the 16:1 is a little too much. May have to try the power IROC box...in about 45 more years! :D

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Thread revival time! :grin2:

Steiner just reminded me of this thread in another that's going currently, and I forgot about it and never replied back with my results. So for the sake of future searches...

I have had the car back on the road awhile now and have put some miles on it, and I have to say I love the feel of the new 16:1 manual box.
I still don't know if the one I got from Classic is the same as the Lares box, but I'll bet it is. It is a very nice looking piece and a piece o cake to install (my motor was out though...). The headers on my car are custom built for the motor but there is a mile of clearance around the box now, it's very small.
It also shaved 20+ pounds off the nose from the PS.

I have 235/60-15's on the front of my car so from a stop it takes some strength to turn, but it's not bad at all in my opinion. Parallel parking takes some work but it's really not bad. Once it's rolling it's really nice, and super tight. You can really feel the road now and even though you can't sit back with 1 finger and steer like the old power steering, it steers nice while moving, very positive. You wouldn't want one of the little steering wheels from the 70's though...

So my general feeling is if you are not afraid of having to use "Armstrong steering" a bit, I recommend the box. I bought the box, it came with the rag joint, and I bought a new manual pitman arm. I think it was less than $350 and a few hours to swap.

Like above, in another 10 or 15 years I might consider going back to PS, but for now, I like it!

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Oh lordy, I went the opposite way. After 'armstronging' for the first 10 years of my cars life, I opened my eyes and realized that there were NO American cars without power steering. Sheeze. The greatest sound my car ever made, including the exhaust, was the sound of the original manual box hitting the bottom of the garbage can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts