Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I grabbed a Lares 972 from Advanced Auto with Steering Coupler #201 (Ensure it's a #201...). If you didn't know, it is a 2 1/2 turn Lock to Lock Steering box that went in with no mods to my 1968. Honestly, it's more like 2 5/8s lock to lock but, meh. Rock auto had the Pitman, idler and updated tie rods with tall joints for cheap. Took 5 hours and a rented pitman arm puller. My inners were less than one year old.

Lessons learned:
The old steering gear will come out through the bottom real easy. Don't forget to pull your steering column before you try to install the new gear...
I just moved to Indiana and don't have a grease gun, so that was a treck back to AdvAuto.
Borrow a steering wheel puller. Mine is now off by about 60*.

Lares 972 w/ new beefy coupler: $280 after Core. (Lifetime replacement Warranty)
Pitman Arm: $11 (rock auto)
5.78" Idler Arm: $ 19 (rock auto)
Outer tie rods w/ tall ball: $42 Each (rock auto)
Total: $420ish with shipping

I have the short steering arms as of now. I've read that may be twitchy; I'll let you know. As of now, I need to adjust my PS pump as the new gear makes the belt slip on slow speed turns. I am interested to see how the car drives now with the 1 1/4" Vette Brakes front and 7/8" rear anti-sway bars and 250lb composite springs. I have the BMR arms and koni's around. Hmmm... Maybe I should upgrade the 4 wheel manual drum brakes? nah.

Will update soon as I'm driving the car from Indianapolis to Virginia tomorrow. I suppose that's a test drive?

-Rob

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well, I grabbed a Lares 972 from Advanced Auto with Steering Coupler #201 (Ensure it's a #201...). If you didn't know, it is a 2 1/2 turn Lock to Lock Steering box that went in with no mods to my 1968. Honestly, it's more like 2 5/8s lock to lock but, meh. Rock auto had the Pitman, idler and updated tie rods with tall joints for cheap. Took 5 hours and a rented pitman arm puller. My inners were less than one year old.

Lessons learned:
The old steering gear will come out through the bottom real easy. Don't forget to pull your steering column before you try to install the new gear...
I just moved to Indiana and don't have a grease gun, so that was a treck back to AdvAuto.
Borrow a steering wheel puller. Mine is now off by about 60*.

Lares 972 w/ new beefy coupler: $280 after Core. (Lifetime replacement Warranty)
Pitman Arm: $11 (rock auto)
5.78" Idler Arm: $ 19 (rock auto)
Outer tie rods w/ tall ball: $42 Each (rock auto)
Total: $420ish with shipping

I have the short steering arms as of now. I've read that may be twitchy; I'll let you know. As of now, I need to adjust my PS pump as the new gear makes the belt slip on slow speed turns. I am interested to see how the car drives now with the 1 1/4" Vette Brakes front and 7/8" rear anti-sway bars and 250lb composite springs. I have the BMR arms and koni's around. Hmmm... Maybe I should upgrade the 4 wheel manual drum brakes? nah.

Will update soon as I'm driving the car from Indianapolis to Virginia tomorrow. I suppose that's a test drive?

-Rob
Great info... would it possible to add the part #'s for each part?

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lares direct bolt in 10:1 fast ratio gear box w/ 4 bolt holes: Lares #972 ($295, $75 Core on Rock Auto)($360, $80 Coer on AdvanceAuto)
Lares direct bolt in 10:1 fast ratio gear box w/ 3 bolt holes: Lares #974 (The only difference is the number of holes) ($248) (send yours for rebuild on Rock Auto)
It should include the proper steering coupler (rag joint), if it doesn't, you need Lares # 201. $35ish.

Long Pitman Arm:
Quick Steer K6582, $19.64 - 5.78" Stud to Spline Center
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1968,camaro,5.7l+350cid+v8,1034671,steering,pitman+arm,7368 (I think that it's funny the Moog K6584 costs $57.79)

Idler Arm:
Quick Steer K6099, $11.09 (Moog K6009 is $39.97)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1968,camaro,5.7l+350cid+v8,1034671,steering,idler+arm,7328

Outer Tie Rods:
PROFORGED 10410529, $42.97 - .50" taller version for reduced bump steer

Inner Tie Rods:
Quick Steer ES681N, $3.73 (Moog ES681N, $15.97) https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1968,camaro,5.7l+350cid+v8,1034671,steering,tie+rod+end,7428

30 Rack of Coors Light:
071990300302, $18.99 on military bases.... :)

-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts

-Rob
Man, you don't mess around; that's a bold test drive. Watch out for all that hurricane-related rain and flooding. Off topic question - with the 383 five speed, what diff gear are you running and what kind of mileage do you get on a road trip like that?

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting! What type of pressure hose does it take, the metric with O-ring or the SAE with a flare?

Advance Auto description says its the SAE with flare, but is that what you received?
Stock lines.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10:1 ratio is too fast for a first gen.
It took a minute to get used to. I definitely understand why you would say that. It felt nice however, I may swap to a short pitman arm.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely lawless. Once on the highway I forgot about the swap after an hour or so. The next lane change I made was interesting at best. I moved the wheel as much as I had for years and immediately regretted it.... Spilled my coffee. Lol. As Mr. Pozzi stated, 10:1 is very agressive. My suspension is stiff enough that I don't mind it but, 12.7:1 is an option I've seen and bet that would be the sweet spot for most people.

My EFI elected to literally double my fuel flow the last 100 miles. That was fun.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm home and had zero steering issues. Went from Indianapolis to Fairfax in one day then back a week later. No drips, wiggley parts, and I love it. Fun fact, my 383 gets over 20mpg at 80 with the AC on. That officially makes my car the most efficient vehicle in the family!!!!

- Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts