Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '78 Camaro last summer it had a Rochester 4 barrel Carburetor with an electric choke on it. The power was supplied to the electric choke from a large red wire with weird plug on it. When I say large wire, I'm talking about a wire that's between 1/8" and 3/16" thick with the red coating on it.

It has no power until the key is turned to the run position. I didn't check to see if it had power when turned back to the radio on position.

I want to make this into a "power block" for accessories requiring 12 volts while the car is running like my electric choke, my Volt Meter Gauge and any thing else I might need accessory power only when the car is running.

How does this sound? Does anyone know what this wire was originally used for?

I also have two small blue wires that seem to have been cut on the drivers side of the firewall a little bit lower then the steering column and in more towards the transmission hump.

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
Probably elec choke feed and I would leave it for elec choke.
Supply power for other accessories, I would run a separate power block from the fuse panel thus keeping current through the IGN contacts of the ign switch to a minimum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably elec choke feed and I would leave it for elec choke.
Supply power for other accessories, I would run a separate power block from the fuse panel thus keeping current through the IGN contacts of the ign switch to a minimum.
They used a wire that thick for the electric choke? And wouldn't that wire come off the fuse panel somehow? If not, where would you hook my aftermarket volt gauge to?
I was told to splice into one of the orange wires (running lights wire I guess) in the dash/gauge panel area to hook my lights for my aftermarket gauges to.

Thanks, NYH1!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Big question is if it's powered during ACC or IGN power. You don't want your electric choke powered while listening to the radio. Chances are if it's a bonafide choke power lead then it's an IGN power source and may not be what you're looking for.

Using a relay to provide an ACC (or IGN) power distribution point is a great idea. Just be sure to provide proper fusing for the loads you derive from your new power source and you'll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts