Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just seen this video http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Cops/0/e3ccfd42-ae4c-4d65-a7c5-99000136ea73.htm and now i wonder if i should get one of these. is it just a scam? i have a radar/laser detector. it costed a lot, but it never goes off on the highway anymore because all they use is laser. normally i do 9 over and they leave me alone, but other days ill go 20-30 over and i got nailed pretty good one time and had to pay a lawyer $1300 to keep my license... anyways, what detector/jammer works good for you?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes well i dont drive slow when everyone on the highway is doing 85 average in a 65.. but some how i get busted ever year. if i drive speedlimit then i have ppl driving 1 inch away from my bumper

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
yes well i dont drive slow when everyone on the highway is doing 85 average in a 65.. but some how i get busted ever year. if i drive speedlimit then i have ppl driving 1 inch away from my bumper
One neat little trick I've learned, is that whenever I (along with everyone else) is driving far above the speed limit, when the cops get behind you Don't Hit Your Brakes. I dont know about everywhere else, but here in the midwest, it seems like whenever the cops try to catch a bunch of speeders, they usually go after the first set of brake lights they see. When everyone sees him, they automatically panic and step on their brake pedals hoping that they won't get caught, and usually the first one to do it is the one that gets nailed. :eek:

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
If you are getting singled out over and over when in a group of cars flowing over the limit, you have to be doing something to draw attention to you. It could be hitting the brakes but the cops have to be behind you and typically folks hit the brakes when they first see the cops ahead on the side of the road. We use to have "safety meetings" and to spice them up the boss brought in CHP for a "Commuter Safety" session. It was cool hearing their side. In CA there are no quotas and the CHP don't like writing tickets. They will not stop speeders during drive time unless someone does something to draw attention to themselves. To make a stop on the freeway even in medium traffic usually means it will cause backups. It's the rock in a pond ripple effect. The cop pulls someone over, the process of the chase causes folks to slow down trying to clear the lane for the cops. That starts the slow down ripple, then once off the side of the road the slow down ripple is perpetuated by rubber neckers and those that just slow down in the presents of a cop car on the side of the road. The next thing you have traffic flowing at 40mph all because they pulled one car over.

I'm sure that most law enforcement agencys share practices and develop policy based on what works for others. I'd look at driving habits, weaving in and out, tail-gating to get cars to move over etc... Stuff that draws attention to you.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
In CA there are no quotas and the CHP don't like writing tickets.
If you ask any PD they will say that they do not have quotas, but they they do. Only they are called job performance reviews. Tickets are they main method to tell if a traffic cop is out doing his job, or is just sitting in the coffee shop,etc.

Tickets = revenue

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Well, the video looks a little unprofessional. (the cartoon babes in skimmpy clothing, and the guys doing donuts and peeling out makes it look like you could do anything in front of the cops and they won't stop you if you have the blocker.) Is this a commercial for the blocker? My question is when the cops zero in on you with their laser and they get no reading, don't they know you have the blocker? If I was a cop and got no reading, I would make some excuse to stop you anyway just to bust your b*lls. I consistently drive the speed of traffic, whether it be the speed limit or 80 in a 65. I can't remember the last time I was stopped, let alone given a ticket. Got to be at least 20 years. If you don't drive like an idiot, I don't know why you would need one.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
If you ask any PD they will say that they do not have quotas, but they they do. Only they are called job performance reviews. Tickets are they main method to tell if a traffic cop is out doing his job, or is just sitting in the coffee shop,etc.

Tickets = revenue

What do you have to base that on? If that were the case the traffic cops would all be hanging out at intersections writing tickets for not stopping at stop signs and red lights when turning right. They call that a California stop here. The Hwy Patrol would just have to hang out at onramps to the freeways and write tickets to diamond lane violators. That's a $271 fine in itself. The tickets = revenues is just a myth as is quotas to prove job performance.

I can't believe CA is a mecca for getting away with breaking traffic laws compared to other states... On city streets the PD has plenty to keep them busy, they are there to protect and serve which means more than just traffic control.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
What do you have to base that on? If that were the case the traffic cops would all be hanging out at intersections writing tickets for not stopping at stop signs and red lights when turning right. They call that a California stop here. The Hwy Patrol would just have to hang out at onramps to the freeways and write tickets to diamond lane violators. That's a $271 fine in itself. The tickets = revenues is just a myth as is quotas to prove job performance.

I can't believe CA is a mecca for getting away with breaking traffic laws compared to other states... On city streets the PD has plenty to keep them busy, they are there to protect and serve which means more than just traffic control.
Dennis, If not by tickets, how would/could you measure the performance of a traffic cop? If a cop is writing 10 tickets a day by sititng on the on-ramp looking for diamond lane violators, is he doing is job? I don't think so.

Cop 1 - 1 traffic ticket a day
Cop 2 - 10 traffic tickets a day
Cop 3 - 20 traffic tickets a day

Who is doing their job if all things are equal? Is cop 3 too aggressive?

How do I know? I have a nephew who is a traffic cop in a neighboring town :thumbsup:, his fiance is a cop (same town I live :thumbsup: ), and my retired father who worked for the police department in the town we grew up.

They will never call them quotas, it is not PC now-a -days. There are unwritten quotas. There is no other way to check the job performace of a traffic cop unless by the number of tickets they write each shift.

Cops don't like to write tickets because they don't like to sit in court. There is no other reason.

Again, tickets = revenue streams

·
Registered
305 Posts
"The tickets = revenues is just a myth" what do you have to base that on?

Tickets definately equal revenue, and a big piece of revenue at that. The other benefit of ticket writing is the visual deterrant. Drivers see car being ticketed and may slow down. May work, may not who knows.

As fas as the radar detector, from what I hear Valentine is hands down the best on the market.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
if i may, dennis, satz28, and robert all have somethings correct. at least here in s.f. satz28 keeps mentioning "traffic cop". that is an important part of his posts. there are some cops that just love to give tickets and they become traffic cops. for the most part, here in s.f., a regular patrol cop will have their blinders on when it comes to traffic violations. there also is no quota but you can try to reach a goal. with goals may come incentives such as riding a new harley or something. and robert is correct about visual deterent. a traffic cop can target a specific intersection to deter traffic violators. maybe a fatal accident or other serious traffic collision had occured there. having a patrol car driving around is a deterent in itself. though i mentioned that most cops will have their blinders on, when there is a patrol car around, you wont comit a traffic violation until the cop is out of sight.

it is against the law to order or tell a cop to write tickets. the command staff can probably try and say "you have to write tickets" but they can do nothing to you if you dont or it can become legal issue. as far as the revenue, it does add revenue as does everything else that you have to pay for where city property or personel is invoved but i dont think it adds up to as much as the meter maids might pull in or things such as city lots and parking meters.

here in s.f. the cops are doing less and less because of the way they are being treated. anyone can make a complaint on a cop. the complaintant doesnt even have to be where the incident took place. the complaintant could have just saw he cop on tv or read about what he did in the newspaper and if the complaintant doesnt like what he saw, he can make a complaint and the police watchdog group will take that complaint. in s.f., the direction we are headed in the way cops are handling situations is not good and for a reason. again, if the cop does something, and the cop could be in the right and have done his job properly, and a citizen makes a big enough complaint, he can loose his job which means, he can loose he means of support for his family. there have been too many cases like this. cops become reactive instead of proactive. i dont blame any cop that just ignores most crime they see on the street, ie drug dealing, because their livelyhood is on the balance. they only go to calls that dispatch sends them on. i myself work as hard as the day i got in and everyone with my amount of years thinks im crazy but i just enjoy doing my job. i do think about slowing down because of my family and not being so proactive. my relatives all tell me to slow down but its just not me. my wife is understanding on what i do. she always wants to know why i have to run in a situation when most cops are runnng out. i can go on and on but it just gets upsetting and kinda long sorry for the change in topics.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Yes I do understand a ticket is revenue but not in the sense that it's profit for the city which is the myth I spoke of.

Angel - thanks for that first hand accounting... The problems you speak of come from the flamboyant and liberal nature of your city and those running it. When I visit SF I truly appreciate those of you who do press on, thanks...

Anyway radar and laser detectors are of more use on freeways and that's why I reflected on my conversations with the CHP officers I met with. I got from them that if the need arrises they will write a ticket. They don't have some chart or thermometer with revenue goals and awards for meeting them. Their monitered and followed by gps and video of stops etc. They get assignments like "we need to reduce accidents on hwy 101 between 7th and 10th St" and if that's part of their beat they do what they can to influence and impact the defined task. That's a trackable result just like when a city has 100 shooting deaths in a year or 50 dui related deaths and they set out to reduce those numbers. Improvements are trackable reflect on the personel in a given precinct or station.

If a cop is writing 10 tickets a day by sititng on the on-ramp looking for diamond lane violators, is he doing is job? I don't think so.
But if all it's about is meeting numbers because that's the only way to know a cop does his job as you suggest and it's all about money then why isn't the cop doing his job if he does get his quota this way? Revenues would be way up and he meets his quota and gets a good rating... Those seem to have been your defined goals. I do agree with you though, there are better things a cop could do. My point is if mgnt puts quotas on someone they will take action to meet them and at least around here you don't see much inforcement of diamond lane, speeding or running a red when making right violations. Hense I don't see anyone being under the quota system around here.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
if i may, dennis, satz28, and robert all have somethings correct. at least here in s.f. satz28 keeps mentioning "traffic cop". that is an important part of his posts. there are some cops that just love to give tickets and they become traffic cops. for the most part, here in s.f., a regular patrol cop will have their blinders on when it comes to traffic violations. there also is no quota but you can try to reach a goal. with goals may come incentives such as riding a new harley or something. and robert is correct about visual deterent. a traffic cop can target a specific intersection to deter traffic violators. maybe a fatal accident or other serious traffic collision had occured there. having a patrol car driving around is a deterent in itself. though i mentioned that most cops will have their blinders on, when there is a patrol car around, you wont comit a traffic violation until the cop is out of sight.

it is against the law to order or tell a cop to write tickets. the command staff can probably try and say "you have to write tickets" but they can do nothing to you if you dont or it can become legal issue. as far as the revenue, it does add revenue as does everything else that you have to pay for where city property or personel is invoved but i dont think it adds up to as much as the meter maids might pull in or things such as city lots and parking meters.

here in s.f. the cops are doing less and less because of the way they are being treated. anyone can make a complaint on a cop. the complaintant doesnt even have to be where the incident took place. the complaintant could have just saw he cop on tv or read about what he did in the newspaper and if the complaintant doesnt like what he saw, he can make a complaint and the police watchdog group will take that complaint. in s.f., the direction we are headed in the way cops are handling situations is not good and for a reason. again, if the cop does something, and the cop could be in the right and have done his job properly, and a citizen makes a big enough complaint, he can loose his job which means, he can loose he means of support for his family. there have been too many cases like this. cops become reactive instead of proactive. i dont blame any cop that just ignores most crime they see on the street, ie drug dealing, because their livelyhood is on the balance. they only go to calls that dispatch sends them on. i myself work as hard as the day i got in and everyone with my amount of years thinks im crazy but i just enjoy doing my job. i do think about slowing down because of my family and not being so proactive. my relatives all tell me to slow down but its just not me. my wife is understanding on what i do. she always wants to know why i have to run in a situation when most cops are runnng out. i can go on and on but it just gets upsetting and kinda long sorry for the change in topics.
Cops have a tough job, and I for one thank you guys and gals for doing this job.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
thanks and sorry for jacking the thread. anyway, valentine detectors are supposed to be the best. i have one but i dont use it. they are a bit more pricey than the $50.00 target detectors. you can find it on line.
over the years i have used them all, bell, passport, ecsort, cobra, etc.
valentine is by far the best! (accuracy and eliminating "bad" signals)
www.valentineone.com
cost: $500.00
if nothing else, just hit the site for great info on radar/laser.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts