Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What late model steering column can I swap into my '67 that has cruise and tilt. I want it to look somewhat factory, but do not want to go aftermarket like Ididit or Flaming River. Also I do not want to spend the money on a rebuilt where I will still have to add the cruise. What modifications will be necessary, if I want to use another model/year? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i think most GM columns are interchangable. i might pull the column out of my recently acquired 84 Camaro and compare it to the one in my Nova, just for kicks. i want the high beams and wiper contols and what not mounted up on the blinker switch- so much easier to get to the high beam switch with a stick.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
in 1969 the columns changed to have the ignition switch in the column. The column is a larger diameter and will not fit without some minor modification. then you will need to either re-wire the ignition switch or, I guess it could be removed from the column.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Chevy made vans in the early 80's that had tilt columns and the ignition was on the dash. But I don't know about the "multi function switch". Also, I don't know if they were column or floor shift.

My wife's old 1998 Malibu had the ignition on the dash, but the column was rectangular shaped and probably would not look too good.

I've thought about using a 4th gen tilt column but I don't know what would be involved with wiring it in and if I remember correctly there is a VATS chip on the ignition key. I have no idea if that can be made to work on my 68 or not?? Then there is also the airbag to deal with, but I think a competent upholstery shop could pad the center of the wheel after the bag is removed and make it look good.

Let us know if you come up with something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts