Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I didn't like it when it was first announced, then it grew on me and I really started liking it. I wanted to buy one. Now after seeing more "real" pictures on this thread and another, I'm kinda not liking it again.

I'm really disappointed with the wheels and tires, rear view mirrors, tail lights, front grill and the tach and speedo gauges. I do like the basic body style though. They better make some modifications to this vehicle before it hits the showroom floor or I think there will be alot of disappointed people (including GM) I was sure I was going to buy one, but I'm drifting away from it now....I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and wait until I see it in person before I make my final decision.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I really, really want to like it. With just a few minor mods it would be a winner. I almost feel guilty for not liking it. We pist and moaned for so long for GM to re-make the Camaro. Now that they have, I'm getting more and more disappointed the more I see it. I know you can't make everyone happy and I have to assume that their know what they're doing and going for the masses. It's starting to grate on me now and it hasn't even been released. I must see a dozen of the new Mustangs on the road every day. Why aren't they grating on me? Why am I not sick of seeing them? I still say to myself when I see one, "Wow, that's a real sharp looking car."

I hope I will be able to say "WOW" when I see the new Camaro in person, but I'm having my doubts. However subtle, the new Camaro is missing something in minor styling (grill, tail lights, etc.). I hope I'm wrong. I'm almost tired of the new Camaro already...:sad:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The way it looks has never appealed to me...I've never understood the idea of starting retro-camaro with a retro 69.If you follow the most successful model in this area its got to be the Mustang...which started with a retro 65 and went forward.Where does chevy go with this...is the retro 70 model next.I beleive the car is waaaay to "corvettish",to much bling and not enough old school and affordable. I cant afford a corvette,and from the look i'm not gonna be able to afford one of these either even if it did appeal to me...what a shame and a missed opportunity for GM.

·
19,759 Posts
I like the new Camaro but untill I sit in one, who knows.

I think they should have gone more retro like the Mustang and Challenger.

We will see.

YES, the wheels gotta go.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
what camaro?

·
Registered
401 Posts
looks like a Camaro CTS to me, too boxy and too many straight lines. seems they tried to remake a 69'. never liked it... still dont.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not a bad design but does absolutely nothing for me and I would think I am the target market GM is aiming at. It will absolutely never achieve what the Mustang and Dodge Challenger retros will achieve in sales.. I think the body design is so off the mark, I wonder if GM must be keeping the real design a secret and this design is just a ploy.

I saw a big poster of the Challenger today and the car absolutly gets me excited and I have been a Camaro fan and owner for 30+ years. If Chevy goes forward with this car.. you will see me driving a Dodge Challenger. The current concept is not such an exciting car from a muscle car styling perspective. It is not a retro muscle car which would appeal to people in my age/ income bracket who want to relive their youth wrapped around modern performance.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I must say its nice to see the camaro on its way back:thumbsup: ....... and it does grow on you if you didnt like it before....

·
Registered
595 Posts
whats up with the tach and speedo? - - puke
wheels are so-so, not a huge fan of the dub size wheel trends
overall I say it looks cool, BUT if it's a heavy weight I have NO interest

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I realize there are differing opinions on the new Camaro, ...and I know everyone won't go nuts over it.
What I can tell you is my personal experience. When I initially saw the photos, ...I thought it OK. I was fortunate enough to see both the coupe and vert unviels, ...and I can honestly say that seeing the car in person changed my opinion dramatically.
As recent as this past weekend, ...I was invited to the GM proving grounds with a group of enthusiasts. We were given the opportunity to take the vert for a test drive, ...they wanted our feedback. We spent a FULL day, partially with marketing people, ...and the other with members of the design team. It wasn't about them giving us any inside information, ...it was all about them wanting to know how WE felt about the car. Needless to say it was an amazing weekend, ...but what I walked away with most was the simple fact that they want to get it right.

some additional photos here: http://imageevent.com/hvclassics/camarosummit

·
Registered
595 Posts
...it was all about them wanting to know how WE felt about the car. Needless to say it was an amazing weekend, ...but what I walked away with most was the simple fact that they want to get it right.
so what feedback did u and the others provide...were there any common themes/ complaints that were communicated...what did the others in the focus group have to say?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Kevin:
I too would like to know what feedback was given to them. Was there any input as to what most complaints were from this site? (grill, tail lights, rear view mirrors, wheel size, etc.) Do they really want to get it right and honestly have the ability to make changes from your input? If so, what was discussed and what was their reaction???

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...There's no question in my mind they want to get it right.
Please keep in mind, ...and NOT that we were told any major 'secrets' (we weren't) but there are some things I am not allowed to say.
- we were asked specifically about each of those you mentioned (grill, taillights, wheels, mirrors), ...what we loved about interior/exterior, ...and what we hated about the interior/exterior, ...etc.
The mirrors, ...you know they have to change, ...they're simply too small for a production car. The wheels, ...keep in mind for a concept they may (were) made larger than what you might see in production. The grill, ...as a cross section of the enthusiasts there, ...it ran about 50-50. Some expressed that they loved the way the headlights (eyes) set back, ...others said the grill was too large, ...grates to big. Taillights, ...personally, I expressed I didn't care for them, ...but as I see the car in person, I'm OK with them. We were asked, ...what is it about them that you like (or don't like). We were asked what we thought about the wheels, ...most said too big, ...again, ...it's the concept. As for wheel style, ...personally I expressed I loved the 'redline' idea on the vert wheels as well that 'I' thought those wheels were awsome (agreed though too large). What about the exhaust 'ports', ...What do you think about those? ...the general consensus from the group, ...don't like.
That's just a sample...
As for the ability to change things, ...there is still a lot that can change. Body panel wise, ...for the most part, I believe that is pretty fixed.
I firmly and whole-heartedly believe they DO want this thing right. They would not have invited there. Believe me, ...they filmed and recorded EVERYTHING we said. The split us into groups, ...we spent time being questioned by the marketing group, ...and then with the design/engineering group. The two groups were told, ...do not discuss what you were asked with the other group, ...we didn't. As we were being questioned, ...there were 2-3 people taking notes. I truely and sincerely have to say, ...they want to know what we think.
As for the enthusiasts, ...the ages ranged from 19 to 50+. It was a good sampling. There were some hardcore 1st gen people, ...a number that seriously SCCA race, a male female ratio about evenly split, etc. Even though it was a group of 'enthusiasts', ...everyone realizes for the car to be a success there needs to be a refined 'offering' of sorts (ie. V6, creature features, etc.)
...weight was discussed, trunk space was discussed, ...being a convertible fan, ...I expressed my thoughts (as others as well) that when the top folds down, ...it should be BELOW the belt line.
Optioning was brought up, ...We were asked about: HUD, NAV,heated seats, etc, etc, etc.

I know I've jumped around with things and I know that's not nearly everything., ...but I'm just picking off the top of my head. They didn't tell us one way or another on all the issues, ...but again (and I can't over-emphasize this) they were very intently listening.

OH, ...and let me tell you about this C6 we saw........ Oh I can't ;) Wow:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts