Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I have done a spring replacement job. I don't recall wherer or not you have to remove the front leaf spring perch to remove and later install the leaf spring? In other words, can I remove the leaf spring from the car by unbolting the leaf spring at the perch, leaving the pearch in the car. Remember something about the perch being held to the car with captive nuts and were very easy to break off. Thanks in advance!

·
20,008 Posts
Yes, you remember correctly. You will need to remove the bracket to get the bolt out (no idea why they did it that way :mad: )

And yes, it's easy to break off the bolts (J-Clips)

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Its been a while since I have done a spring replacement job. I don't recall wherer or not you have to remove the front leaf spring perch to remove and later install the leaf spring? In other words, can I remove the leaf spring from the car by unbolting the leaf spring at the perch, leaving the pearch in the car. Remember something about the perch being held to the car with captive nuts and were very easy to break off. Thanks in advance!
If you look under the car you should be able to see the front spring eye bolt can't be removed with the spring mounting pocket bolted to the under side of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to remove the front spring perch plates to replace the bushings and when looking at it could not figure if (when!) I broke the front nuts how I could get replacements in. I can see how to do this for the side bolts and made a tool to hold the nut inside the frame through the elongated hole that is near the side bolt. Not sure how to do this for the front bolts either side.
Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,802 Posts
I finally had time to get underneath mine and cut the heads of the bolts off. I only have to disconnect the rear bolts, after having soaked them with PB Blaster and my 10 bolt will be ready to come out. One note; I did purchase new spring pockets, as I figured that I would mess up the old pockets while cutting the heads off. It was a good move as I did get into the old ones a little. I also did find the good "J" clips and I will apply anti-seize on the threads, and yes, once you get the old ones out you will be able to get the new clips in the correct location to do the install correctly.

Brett......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts