Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to adjust my pinion angle soon (it's pointing way too far down) so I have been reading all the old posts I can find for information. I have noticed that lots of people say they are only using one or none of the leaf spring pads. Why? Is there a benifit to taking them out? Doesn't that give you metal on metal rubbing when the spring works? I have five leaf springs with poly pads and I assume that I will have to take the top pad out and replace it with a wedge to correct my pinion angle. Is that correct? Do I need to put any kind of pad back in with the wedge. or maybe a piece of UHMH plastic? I am not setting this car up for drag racing, so I will probably stay away from having very much extra pinion down angle. Do I need a pad to keep it from squeaking? Any opinions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would keep all the pads in leaf spring. I don't see any benifit to removing them. I've seen wedges made to install between leafs and axel pad to adjust pinion angle.You want to have the same angle at the transmission as you do at rear end.If trans is 2 degrees down rear should be 2 degees up.I would'nt put any wedge between the leafs.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I just did this with a 4deg wedge and I left the pads in. The wedge was not thick enough to make much of a difference.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Try to keep the pinion angle between 3 and 5 degrees negative tothedriveshaft centerline.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
My pinion was 4 degs down from the trans as measured at the output shaft and it had high speed vibration. I set the pinion to be on the same angle as the trans and now she's smooth as can be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts