Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instaling my 5-leaf springs on my 69 Camaro when i noticed that the rear spring shackles fit very sloppy and loose when the sholdered bolts are drawn tight. Bushings are new, but there is a 1/4 inch gap in the bushings even when tight. Do 2nd gen camaros use a longer bolt then 69's? I know the bushings are longer. I am wondering if a past owner replaced aftermarket shackels and used the wrong parts. Also, do the shackel flanges face in or out? I thought out, but Classics catalogue shows them facing in. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Did the previous owner use a 2nd gen for parts? The "crown" of the shackle should face out. If that makes sense. You shouldn't have a 1/4" gap. Do yours look like the ones in the book?

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the shackel plates are correct for a 69, as are the bushings, but they just don't snug up. I put a 1/16 washer between the two bushings and they seemed to just barely snug up enough to keep the bots from rattling. Are the first snd 2nd gen shackel bolts different lengths? How much diff in length? thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I'll look at mine when I go down to the shop later this evening and throw a tape on them. I've got both. (Hope I don't space it.)

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just took my spings off a couple days ago so they are laying on the garage floor. The "crown" does face out. Inside to inside between the sahckles is 2 15/16". The shackle bolt is 4 1/4" (top of head to threaded tip). I think I am measuring the right bolt. There are parts all over my garage. Let me know if I can measure anything else.

I forgot to say that I had a 68 with 5 leafs.
------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

[This message has been edited by Brad74 (edited 09-01-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Did I space it? YES! I'm going back down in a few. I'll tie a damm string on my finger I guess.
I'll blame my wife, she's melting my brain!

[This message has been edited by stevo camaro (edited 09-02-2002).]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My shackle bolts are 5 1/4 overall length. the inner dimension of the snugged up shackle is 3 3/4 inches Does this sound like a 2nd gen shackle set? When you tighten up a set of factory shackles how much do you compress the bushings? Do they just snug up or is there a lot of compression?

·
Registered
647 Posts
My shackles were not snugged up to the spring/bushing when I measrued them. If anything the inner width measurement will be smaller than 2 15/16". I would say you not not working with stock parts. I don't have a 2nd gen to measure though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brad How long is the non-threaded shaft of your rear spring shackle bolt? Thanks again

·
Registered
647 Posts
Exaclty 3" from the top of the head to the beginning of the threads.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks much, mine is considerably longer which tells me that I better go on a bolt hunt, and soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts