Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has mono-leaf springs. I was under the car when I was replacing the shocks and noticed I'm missing a couple bolts.

The retainers at the front of the springs have two bolts that hold them to the frame. I have the bolt that's at rear of the car...but the one that's on the inboard side on both sides of the car are missing.

What size bolt goes in that hole?

I can't really see in the hole so I don't know if there's a nut welded to the rail or held in some way to keep the bolt in place. What should I be looking for?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
It's a 3/8-16 bolt. They use j-clips with either a nut tacked to the clip or the threads formed in the clip itself. They slide into a slot in the frame then the bolt goes through the spring eye bracket and into the j-clip. You'll have to drop the front of the spring to replace them. There are some shoddy reproductions running around but you should be able to get replacements from your local GM dealer.
http://www.shop.stevescamaroparts.com/67-69-Camaro-leaf-spring-bracket-mounting-J-nuts-251290.htm

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the right bolt size and I can see the j-clip in the frame.

What's the trick to keeping that j-clip from bending while you try to get the bolt to thread into it? The leaf bracket is just a hair off center and I can't seem to move it so the bolt will go straight in.

I loosed the one bolt that's in there a little...then jacked the car up a bit to loosen spring tension...then use a big screwdriver to pry the bracket a bit...but couldn't get any movement to center up the hole.

Is there a better way that doesn't involve removing the spring and starting over?

It would probably be easier if I had a lift...doing this on my back with the car less than 12" off the ground sucks.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If you support the car by the rear frame and loosen the lower rear shackle bolts, it'll most likely give you some wiggle room at the front. Be sure and put the weight back on the rear before you tighten the shackles back up. There are three bolts holding the spring eye perch so whichever ones are still there make sure they're all loosened a bit and pray that they don't break. If it is just the j clip that is misaligned you may be able to get a screwdriver or punch up in the hole and get it wiggled around.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
The stock bolts are pointed to self align the J clips

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Use an alignment punch and use antiseize on the threads. Torque to 25-128 ft/lbs.
x2 and go diag on the bolts a lil at a time..dont tighten all at once!:hurray:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts