Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 with mono leaf springs. Recently I had new quarters put on and now I have a tire that rubs under certain bumps and swails in the road. I took it back to the body shop and they indicated one side of the car is actually about 1" lower than the other, but the leaf springs look fine. They indicated trimming the quarter would not be wise. Do I need to replace both springs? Or maybe a new set of shocks? I want a smooth ride like it has now, so I don't want to make the ride worse, just get it up off the tire a little. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you do change springs, you need to do both at the same time. They run about $200 a pair. Changing shocks will not effect ride height unless you went to air shocks, but you will not like the ride. Take a look at the spring eye bushings at the front and rear of the springs. You may have one worn on the lower side of your car. They can be replaced but need to be pressed out. Good luck, Mike

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
What size tires are you running on the rear? Do they protrude from the wheel well? What size and offset rim do you have? This could be part of the problem!

If your monoleafs are original they are more than likely worn out and sagging pretty badly. Changing to fresh replacement monoleafs would help preserve ride quality and likely raise the rear of your car quite a bit. May as well replace the shocks while you're there too! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts