Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this in Suspensions, but this one may be more appropriate.

For those that have switched over to coil-over rear suspensions... Hows the ride, compared to leaf springs?

My ride is a street car, I hit the track maybe 1 time a year. There are a lot of choices to rear upgrades, and many of them use coil-over setups. I just don't want to be disappointed in the ride quality if I were to switch over.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also would like to know if the 4-Link would make a lot of difference. I would like to do about 3 Autocross's per year, so I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. The ride quality and precise control of the rear are supposed to be the advantages. I wish someone local had a car with a good 4-Link setup so I could take a drive!

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I have G-Bar with coilovers and I can say that I prefer the ride over the leafs. Wheel hop seems to be a thing of the past. However, that said I can say that proper spring rate selection is key. You also have to make sure that the coilover shock travel is centered (+/- 10 or so) at ride height. You do not have the flexibility of ride height that some think is available with coilovers.

If you check out Todd's posts (Vegas69) on lateral-g.net you will learn quite a lot about his experiences with his G-Bar.

Don

·
Registered
574 Posts
I know this is an old post, I couldn't help myself. I own a 67 pro-tour and a 69 pro-tour. the 67 has a complete DSE 3 inch drop leaf set up. It drives like a truck! The 69 has the quadralink 4 bar or should I say 5 bar counting the panhard bar. Its awesome, the ride is phenominal and the car is so well balanced. Any 4 link, torque arm, 3 link will be a better ride. The leafs are stiff, yes you can make them handle but it still rides like crap.

my two cents- Rich

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,454 Posts
I know this is an old post, I couldn't help myself. I own a 67 pro-tour and a 69 pro-tour. the 67 has a complete DSE 3 inch drop leaf set up. It drives like a truck! The 69 has the quadralink 4 bar or should I say 5 bar counting the panhard bar. Its awesome, the ride is phenominal and the car is so well balanced. Any 4 link, torque arm, 3 link will be a better ride. The leafs are stiff, yes you can make them handle but it still rides like crap.

my two cents- Rich
Composite leafs will address a lot of the ride issues with leaf springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts