Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some PS fluid on the side of the reservoir as of late. It looks as though it's coming out from where the cap seals the reservoir. I've used an after market chrome cap for years and never had any problems with it. I thought it might be the cap and so I swapped it out for another one. I did quite a bit of driving yesterday and when I got home I noticed the pump was basically empty. One guess as to where all the fluid is....

Anyway, would this be related to the pump going bad? I'm not opposed to swaping out the pump if I know the pump is the issue - and not some thing like the steering box.

It's a remanufactired GM pump that I got from a sponsor here probaby close to 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
The pump must be leaking pressure in to the reservoir. Replace the pump.

Roger

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What year Camaro? What year power steering pump?

Before 1975 GM pulleys attached to the pump driveshaft by a nut and a woodruff key. The pump driveshaft had a male thread on the end. The driveshaft and the pulley had square cutouts for the woodruff key.

After 1974 all of the GM pumps had interference fit pulleys that required a special tool to install the pulley and another special tool to draw the pulley off of the pump shaft. You must use the proper tool(s) or you risk breaking parts inside the pump. The driveshaft is smooth with a female thread machined into the end.

If the driveshaft seal goes bad, power steering fluid can be flung out and away from the pump by the spinning driveshaft and pulley.

Here are the common areas on the pump where there could be leaks.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts