Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting about two months ago the brakes on my 69 began working poorly. It started with me having to press farther and farther on the brake pedal to stop it. After further inspection I realized the master was low on brake fluid. After a couple of drives, it started again. Low master again and looked for leaks. I couldn't find any leaking brake fluid anywhere. Then they stopped working completely, no pedal, but I finally found where its leaking. Inside the car and down the firewall. Every time the brake pedal is pressed brake fluid will run out of the are where the pedal and firewall meet. Is this a malfunctioning master cylinder?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
My 1st thing is to bollock for even driving a car with faulty or even suspect brakes

Moving on
For the fluid to get inside the car it has to come from the end seal in the mastercylinder
I assume that you dont have a brake booster???
Replace the MC

If you do, the fliud has leaked into the booster, filled it up and leaked out the rear.
The the fliud on the booster is not an issue, just syphon or tip it out
If leaking from the rear that is, the oil is leaking past the Vac diapham inside and should not be able to
Replace Booster and MC

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, no brake booster. I finally received my new master after being on backorder for almost a month. I was going to replace it anyways. And the only reason I drove it with suspect brake is because I don't get to drive it very often. I was lucky nothing happened...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts