Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 2002 v6 series 2 3.8 with 65,000 miles (first Camaro 馃) never had issues. Last week it started smelling like coolant and was dumping it around the water pump. I got a new pump in there as well as a gasket and it wasn鈥檛 puddling. Today I went out there and saw it dripping below the engine kind of by the skid plate (you鈥檒l have to pardon me, my other vehicles are Jeeps so I鈥檓 kind of over my head on car terms). I鈥檓 still losing coolant just not a giant gush like before. I鈥檓 not leaking by the water pump, that area is bone dry as I first thought I didn鈥檛 get the seal right. Hoping to borrow my buddy鈥檚 low profile jack and get it up to see where it鈥檚 coming from. Any ideas what鈥檚 going on? I don鈥檛 believe the heater elbows are bad as there鈥檚 no coolant and the upper heater hoses seem fine with no leaks. It鈥檚 leaking without firing it up and didn鈥檛 leak until about a week ago and only after it was running after a while. Any help would be amazing as again, use to jeeps and this is my first car and I鈥檓 finding out the engines and pieces are very strange haha.

Very hard to say without seeing it. I would get under there and look as you want to do.

It could be any number of things from, a hose, fitting, gasket, ETC.

Good luck, hope it's something easy/cheap to fix.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well it was cheap... not sure about easy haha. It was the dumb plastic elbows. Pretty much disintegrated when I pulled out the pully. Got the aluminum ones. Seems to be working fine but I鈥檓 still leery as those elbows slid right in. Seems like there should be another seal or something besides the o-rings *crosses fingers*

Premium Member
I have used the aluminum ones many times ,no come backs. I usually smear a small amount of black RTV on the rings to help with the slide. Glad you figured it out. Hope you replaced them both.

Registered
Intake coolant leaks were notorious on the Gen 2 & 3 3800. I just replaced the intake on a 2003 Buick Regal with a Dorman upper and lower. Fixed my issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts