Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how oil has appeared on the passenger floor? Noticed it while vacuuming - pulled carpet and pad back and it was soaked. Cleaned it all up and drove it a few more times - but seems to still be leaking and accumulating in the carpet pad just down and to the right of the center console guages. Must just be a little over time as my engine oil level is maintaining a good level.

It's dark and oily - not heater coil/coolant fluid etc.

Any ideas?

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
Jim what car and what year? More info. gives folks with similar issues a chance to respond better.
Id guess oil gauge in the console leaking, very slowly. If it was a bad leak from the gauge, you'd see a puddle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil leaking into passenger floor!

Can anyone tell me how oil has appeared on the passenger floor? Noticed it while vacuuming - pulled carpet and pad back and it was soaked. Cleaned it all up and drove it a few more times - but seems to still be leaking and accumulating in the carpet pad just down and to the right of the center console guages. Must just be a little over time as my engine oil level is maintaining a good level.

It's dark and oily - not heater coil/coolant fluid etc.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Re: Oil leaking into passenger floor!

Well, if you have an oil gauge it must be a pressure fed unit rather than an electronic unit with a leak in the line, probably at the fitting .
Or, someone spilled oil on the floor board.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge ? If yes, it's probably a leak at one of the fittings or in the line. Another possibility is if you have AC it could be compressor oil leaking from the AC unit.

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
nope, but you need the exact right ferral and compression pieces to snug into the gauge exactly right to seal it. These 2 pieces are matched to the gauge so the compression piece squeezes down just right to seal it all.
Pull the gauge out, see if its leaking there then see if its copper line or plastic line, could be either after so many years. Then visit with auto store, maybe even take the gauge with you to get that ferral and compression piece just right. You might get away with cutting off the old ferral and compression piece and installing new one with the threaded cap over it. If not, you might have to replace the whole line out to the engine.

·
19,786 Posts

Yes to the above

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks all for the advice. Is it fairly easy to pull oil gauge out and apart from console to check fitting for the leak? Does the center console have to be all taken apart?

·
19,786 Posts

Most likely its the line to the guage from the motor at the firewall... rubbed a hole in it I'd bet :yes:

·
3,356 Posts

James.
Are you absolutely sure it is oil ? Could be antifreeze from a leaking heater coil, it is just as slippery as oil :(

·
19,786 Posts

James.
Are you absolutely sure it is oil ? Could be antifreeze from a leaking heater coil, it is just as slippery as oil :(
True... smell, don't taste it :)

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The console is very easy to separate. As far as I can remember, it's just a couple of screws/bolts under the very front edge, then a screw by the door on the driver's side and the screws in the door itself and maybe one in the back (mine is kinda McGuyver'ed). It would be easy just to separate it so you could see if there was anything dripping off a gauge. I personally had a nylon line crack at the compression fitting inside the gauge that used to be mounted on my dash. Didn't even notice until it started dripping out of the dash and onto the non-gauge console.....filled the gauge up with oil and ran down the back side, to the mount, through the dash, and out.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Can't you just remove the scews for the cover plate over the gauges without pulling the console itself apart? Then peer in there with a flashlight and a dental mirror (available at drug stores in the dental section).

alan

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Can't you just remove the scews for the cover plate over the gauges without pulling the console itself apart? Then peer in there with a flashlight and a dental mirror (available at drug stores in the dental section).

alan

Or you can pull the console off the floor (4 bolts) and work on it from underneath.

·
Registered
19 Posts
a very dirty coolant system can have some pretty nasty **** in it......from brown to black and everything in between. and is there a possibility its leaking and then mixing with something under your carpet to turn in black? and a oil pressure gauge is easy to remove and check. it will be pretty obvious if it is leaking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts