Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have two problems with my trunk

1) It appears water is able to leak in through the trunk lid after a car wash. I ahve brand new weathersripping installed and it looks ok. Any tip or tricks to ensuring it is making contact with the lid all the way around to ensure a good seal?

2) The car was completely disassembled and and various areas were sand blasted by the previous owner as well as a new right rear quarter being installed. After driving a 100 miles or so I've got a fair amount of sand in the trunk pan. I assume there is a fair amount under the lip of the trunk pan (original) however I'm not sure why it is being disturbed and blowing up and around the trunk unless air is getting into the trunk. Now some will get in throuh the passenger compartment with the window down and I know it vents out through the door sill area but is it enough to disturb the sand trapped in various nooks or do I have air comming in through the wheel well somehow?

Thanks for any advice. I keep my car cover in the trunk and I'm afraid it has been scratching the paint from the sand :/

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Ok I have two problems with my trunk

1) It appears water is able to leak in through the trunk lid after a car wash. I have brand new weathersripping installed and it looks ok. Any tip or tricks to ensuring it is making contact with the lid all the way around to ensure a good seal?
The water could be coming in from the rear window and not through the trunk weatherstripping at all. I can't speak to the sand, however.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Check for leaking around the tailights, might have bad gaskets. Also the Camaro emblem on the lid and the spoiler if you have one. These were all issues on mine.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
ok the first gen was known for having this problem. First gens had a problem with leaking thur the back window. most of the times its the corners. As for the sand they mite have not gotten all of it out. besure that all of it will eventually come out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
pUT STRIP CAULK AROUND THE BOLTS AND PUSH THE SPOILER BACK IN TO THE WHOLES THEN TIGHTEN UP NUTS ON STUDS. pERFECT SEAL EVERY TIME.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
As mentioned above
leaks around the window...in the cnrs and often not visible around the rivets screws that hold the trim clips..these should have sealer when installed

Leaks around a poor fitting real lights seal.

There is a couple joins in the sheet metal around the trunk gutter

Dust...
under the car on each side near the back there is a drain hole that should be sealed with a rubber crommet. From inside the trunk on each side there is a small panel that that covers the area that leads down into this cavity.

Check the seals under the elipical drain hole covers in the bottom of the trunk

The plastic vent inside the door jam, these should have little rubber flaps attached.

Check that the trunk sealimng rubber actually does seal all the way around.
Kids water paint or chalk dust is good for this.

Oh and the trunk is more comfortable to sleep in than the car...just rem to take a small screw driver in to turn the locking mechanism from the inside.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dust...
under the car on each side near the back there is a drain hole that should be sealed with a rubber crommet. From inside the trunk on each side there is a small panel that that covers the area that leads down into this cavity.
I'm missing these. Guessing they are part of the reason sand is blowing up into the trunk.

Still have to check the water leak.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I cut a couple of covers out of a piece of scrap panel steel,
Ran a little silcone around the edge and used a couple tiny self tapping screws to hold in place

Bit off subject...
When I 1st started cleaning out this cavity from the bottom, I dragged most of the crap out with a bent coat hanger...I was going to patch a little rust in the rear section of the wheel well and along the bottom from the out side
I then cut it open with a 4" Grinder...
Before welding in the new patch panel I made up I cleaned out the final lot of crap from the cavity...
And a live .303 shell dropped out on the ground.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts