Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that if you don't use a ground strap from engine to frame the engine tries to ground itself through the crank somehow making the rear main seal leak??????

·
Retired
26,654 Posts
Cody - that's a good one!
Take a look see under your hood and follow the neg battery cable from the battery to wherever it's connected. You'll find it should be connected to the block or alt bracket or something that is directly bolted to the block. This is where the engine gets it's ground. Any straps from the manifolds, valve covers etc are passing ground on from there...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
3,399 Posts
DjD,
I know of a fact of a 1985 Buick that was burning up the TV cable to the trans due to a lack of ground. Took us 2 cables before we figured it out
I have also heard of main bearings getting destroyed from the same thing so its not all that far fetched.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

·
Registered
348 Posts
Angie's dad has told me of welding on his old dirt track Z-28's and then pulling the motor. The bearings and crank journals would have a weld spot on them if he didn't get the welder's ground connected well. Spooky stuff...

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 50 Dodge truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.

·
Retired
26,654 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clill:
Speaking of Grounds...Denniis, did you ever put the ground from the neg bat. post to the fender ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reminder... My hair's not gray but my mind is at times...

·
Retired
26,654 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BillK:
DjD,
I know of a fact of a 1985 Buick that was burning up the TV cable to the trans due to a lack of ground. Took us 2 cables before we figured it out
I have also heard of main bearings getting destroyed from the same thing so its not all that far fetched.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weird stuff Bill!
I can't imagine it causing the seal to leak but who knows! If bearings got trashed the leak could be the result of the damaged bearings... If I'm not mistaken the braided ground straps (clill can you help me here?) that connect to the valve cover bolts and firewall etc are part of the radio package. I believe if you ordered a 69 camaro with radio delete the straps were not provided on the car. You can see this in the 69 camaro assembly manual under "Radio Ground Straps"

·
Registered
503 Posts
I heard of rear ends and tranny going bad do to loose grounds on cars. The current arcs across the bearings to get to ground.

Fords with v-8's are natorious for bad grounds at the block. I saw one that was arcing from the exhaust to the chassis to find ground. Thats why its always good to run a lot of ground straps.

With computer controls a good ground is manditory. Most FI cars will not even run with a semi bad ground but will crank fine.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

1 - 10 of 10 Posts