Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Chevrolet RS Camaro
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if I can run LED headlights on my 67 RS?
I've been looking all over and everytime I think I have found some, it will say they are incompatable with my 67 RS.
I would think that if they are 7" headlights, then they should fit, but the part that would concern me is the LED heat sink. I'm guessing I would have to modify the headlight bucket., but other than that, shouldn't they work. Don't like the old dim incandescents or the hot halogens. I put some LEDs in my Chevy truck, and I love them. Lots of light.
I hate to waste 100 bucks or more on some LED headlights if they won't work.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There's a few options but the cheapest and easiest I've heard of is the Truck-lite 27270c
Lots of information on search.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Check out Octane Lighting A couple of us purchased LED lights from them. I am very happy with mine in my 69.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I changed over to LED.. Bought new buckets and carved out areas on the bowls as well as enlarged the center hole that the globe passed through in the back. The issue isn't with the heat sinks as much as the globes you would have to purchase are deaper and the lip at the convex area is larger than the buckets so the globe will not sit in like it supposed to. I cut up the new buckets to be more of a cage, ground the front lip out so the globes would sit in like they should. Roughly bout an hours work with a mini grinder and a file to modify them. then primer and black epoxy paint. Mounted the new buckets and installed the lights. Used these lens's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CLWQKC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and these lamps https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6MVN9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Minus the new buckets was $56 for the upgrade.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yeah from what I hear 67 RS's are a crap-shoot based on if you still have the factory original door motors, or someone "upgraded" them with foreign vehicle motors grafted on, or someone swapped out for or added RS by using retro/aftermarket kits. And supposedly on '68 and '69's it doesn't make a difference RS or not but don't know that for sure by experience.

·
14,290 Posts
I've used Octane Loghting on several 1st Gens.

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
209 Posts
The original RS headlight door circuit is not compatible with LED headlights since this circuit uses the headlight bulb filament as part of the ground circuit. So you would either need to modify this circuit (do a web search and you will find solutions) or try one of the aftermarket kits that don't rely on the headlight bulbs for ground. The DSE kit is one such kit.

·
Registered
1967 Chevrolet RS Camaro
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought some Octane Lighting led headlights with the halo.
Installed them last night, but haven't hooked up the halo yet.
Now my headlight doors won't open or close. I checked the clearance of the doors and it appears to be fine. I can manually open and close them without any problems, but wondering if maybe I might have crimped a vacuum hose line, or pulled a motor wire loose or they just quit on me.
I guess now it is time to start chasing a new problem.
Oh well, give me something to do, just where to start?

·
14,290 Posts
I bought some Octane Lighting led headlights with the halo.
Installed them last night, but haven't hooked up the halo yet.
Now my headlight doors won't open or close. I checked the clearance of the doors and it appears to be fine. I can manually open and close them without any problems, but wondering if maybe I might have crimped a vacuum hose line, or pulled a motor wire loose or they just quit on me.
I guess now it is time to start chasing a new problem.
Oh well, give me something to do, just where to start?
What Year?

·
14,290 Posts
Yes the LED will not activate the doors.

·
Registered
1967 Chevrolet RS Camaro
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The original RS headlight door circuit is not compatible with LED headlights since this circuit uses the headlight bulb filament as part of the ground circuit. So you would either need to modify this circuit (do a web search and you will find solutions) or try one of the aftermarket kits that don't rely on the headlight bulbs for ground. The DSE kit is one such kit.
Do you know what the fix is without buy a kit? Can you just put a jumper or a resistor across the two sides of the filament on the plug and it work? I may try that when I get home.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Do you know what the fix is without buy a kit? Can you just put a jumper or a resistor across the two sides of the filament on the plug and it work? I may try that when I get home.

I would think that you could pick up either 2 500 ohm resistors or 1 1k ohm resistor and try connecting them between the low beam power lead and ground. If it works, you'd have to purchase either 2 more 500 or another 1k so high beams would activate as well. Might be oversize for the resistors, but you could measure across a filament and x2 for the correct resistance.

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
209 Posts
You could use a resistor placed on the light blue wire of R1 to ground but it would need to be a pretty big power resistor. The resistance would need to be around 6 ohms and the wattage would need to be 38W or more. A better solution is to use a relay. I was going to attach a picture on how to connect the relay but I'm out of storage space. Send me a PM with an email address I can send it to you if you want.

You don't need to use the same type of relay as used in the original headlight door circuit. Any standard 12V automotive relay will work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts