Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looking for a led bulb that will work as a signal light and running light for my 69 camaro.
if your talking about the small round lights in the front of the car

I use switchback led lights here and they look and work amazing
white for the main light yellow when blinker is on

I got them from screaming chicken

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Welcome to the club. Everett will around shortly to ask for pictures of your ride. Be aware that if you change to LED there may not be enough load for the original blinker units to work. There is one made for LED's so probably wise to go on and change the blinker units at the same time.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Yes, as a signal light an LED most likely will not flash with the original flasher. You have to go to a low load flasher, Like a Novità EL-12 or similar. Or you can put in load resistors, but that's harder and not as elegant. LED's don't pull the same current.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used these as suggested from Super Bright LEDs .com. They are bright indeed! And you will need electronic flashers.

Here is a link to a 1157 bulb for your front turn and marker light: Amber
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit-car/4478/10327/

Here is a link to a 1157 bulb for your rear stop and tail light: Red (Red lens filters out white light, so a red LED bulb is used.)
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit-car/4478/10326/

Here is a link to a 1156 bulb for your back up lights: White
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/4477/10318/

Here is a link to a 194 bulb for your side marker lights: Red / Amber
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/923/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used these as suggested from Super Bright LEDs .com. They are bright indeed! And you will need electronic flashers.

Here is a link to a 1157 bulb for your front turn and marker light: Amber
1157 LED Bulb - Dual Function 51 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb | Super Bright LEDs

Here is a link to a 1157 bulb for your rear stop and tail light: Red (Red lens filters out white light, so a red LED bulb is used.)
1157 LED Bulb - Dual Function 51 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb | Super Bright LEDs

Here is a link to a 1156 bulb for your back up lights: White
1156 LED Light Bulb - (51) SMD LED Tower - BA15S Base with Lens | Super Bright LEDs

Here is a link to a 194 bulb for your side marker lights: Red / Amber
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base | Super Bright LEDs
I have a question about these LED bulbs. If you buy these bulbs and replace in these locations, do you have to add anything in order for them to work or are they plug n play?

·
Registered
77 Posts
These are what I have used in my 66 Corvair with clear lenses. They are awaiting installation in my 68. 100 watt when in white operation.

JDM ASTAR 1157 Amber White Switchback LED Turn Signal Light Bulb 1157. China bulbs did not work well.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,896 Posts
These bulbs (are they "bulbs"?,lol) will fit in the stock front 69 turn signal sockets and clear the lens?
Thanks,
Brett.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't tried one yet on my 68. I can dig out one of old housing and lens to put one in to see if it fits. But other tasks will not allow it happen for awhile. I would think 69 lights are similar on clearance from the hot incandescent bulbs.

Here are the dimensions. You can measure and see if the JDMs will fit.

Note: If they don't fit on my 68, I will use my set saved for the Camaro on my Corvair, which has them already.

JDM Astar 1157 Switch Back.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Found some more info. JDM bulb height is higher by 0.16" (4mm). Shouldn't make a difference since the incandescent bulbs had to positioned away from the plastic lens to prevent melting.

1157 Bulb Dimensions.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
I didn't need load resistors on my Corvair with JDM switch/back bulb in front and JDM red 1157 LED bulbs in the back. All lights work properly. Grounded LED compatible flasher was installed.

Whn I first installed front and rear LEDs, I did have hyper flashing. The LED tail lights, dash lights (LED & incandescent) and the plate light (LED)hyper flashed when I used chinese 1157 bulbs in the tail light sockets. It was so bad, we couldn't tell when turn signal or brakes were being used. They flashed to the ignition system cycle when engine was running. (2 sets of 6 flashes, a 2 second pause and repeat). Took me awhile trying to fix all grounds, as it was thought a bad ground was causing it. Installing incandescent bulbs cured it. If one LED bulb was installed in the rear, it flashed. Once I got JDM bulbs in the rear, it was cured. We think it was EMI from coil affecting the wiring when lights were on and poor design of chinese bulbs that didn't insulate from EMI.

The car was an constant experiment trying to get the chinese bulbs to work. Had to replace them with incandescent bulbs, whenever I wanted to drive it.

A have a set of load resistors handy. Keeping them just in case they are needed for the Camaro. But with the Corvair, a knowledge friend knowing automotive LED lights and resistors, said it was a waste of money. Resistors would not solve what was going on with my Corvair that I described above.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,082 Posts
Got mine from Amazon, they work great. Bright white as a running light, turns amber when you use directionals.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Got mine from Amazon, they work great. Bright white as a running light, turns amber when you use directionals.
Did you add/buy any LED Load Resistors?
Brett....

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,082 Posts
Did you add/buy any LED Load Resistors?
Brett....
No Brett... but bc I went with the Easy Performance LED tails, I used two (2) transistorized flashers.

Bulbs are These:
IMG_7725.JPG IMG_7724.JPG IMG_7722.JPG IMG_7723.JPG LED-Turn-Signal-Bulbs.jpg

I've edited this post to include the correct bulbs.

Both the "running lights" are on in this picture, so the left is a nice bright white... the right shows the color with the directional on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, as a signal light an LED most likely will not flash with the original flasher. You have to go to a low load flasher, Like a Novità EL-12 or similar. Or you can put in load resistors, but that's harder and not as elegant. LED's don't pull the same current.
Regarding the low load flasher, do you know if it is better to go with the EL - 12, that does not have the ground wire or one like the CEC Industries EF32RL, that has an external ground wire (link below)? Thanks, I was headed down the path of using resistors until I saw your post.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Just installed my LED signal lights. Did not install the LED Load Resistors. Figured I would try it without first. This is a video without load resistors;
LED Signal lights

I LOVE them!
Brett......

·
Registered
164 Posts
No Brett... but bc I went with the Easy Performance LED tails, I used two (2) transistorized flashers.

Bulbs are These:
View attachment 271828

Both the "running lights" are on in this picture, so the left is a nice bright white... the right shows the color with the directional on.
View attachment 271829

Bulbs are These:
View attachment 271828

View attachment 271829
57vette, I have a question for you. I bought the same bulbs as you but they are amber as running lights and amber as turn signals, don't think the front white bulbs ever come on. Wiring is completely stock and I'm running LED flashers so they are working without hyper flash issues. They are nice and bright but I'd really like the white on as running lights, do you have any tips for me?

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Blue69, I just clicked on the Amazon link 57Vette has in his post and they appear to be amber/amber. It doesn't mention White. I wonder if he might have mistakenly picked the wrong one to post here.
Brett....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts