Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen the digital panels that replace the lenses and lights for 67 RS vehicles. Im not interested in the fancy sequential stuff, just a nice bright led tail light. Ive found these which seem like a good deal.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1967-Camaro-RS-LED-Tail-Stop-Lights,25167.html

What I was wondering was how these compare to just putting a 1157 type led bulb in the regular stock housing. Im guessing that the panels would be brighter but would the led bulbs be better than the stock 1157 bulbs? I would disassemble the housings and repaint the reflectors bright white. Are the led bulbs a waste of time?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,430 Posts
I can't answer about LED bulbs in the original sockets, but I did have some friends complaining about the LED panel backup lights on my '68 almost blinding them.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent the money for the led bulbs and I can't see any difference between them and the regular bulb
This is kind of what I thought. I had found some really old posts saying as much but I figured that the tech of led had come such a long way in a short period of time. And maybe that wasnt the case anymore. I guess with the panels I get a nice shiny new lens also.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
The 40 led panels are all you need and the difference is night and day. Have had mine for 7 years without an issue. The great part is they require no additional wiring and are basic plug and play! You will want /need to replace your standard flasher with the HD led flasher located under the dash.

You will be more than satisfied with these panels and their brightness.You can't get

There are also little 12 led panels that plug into the back up lights (using your original lens) available on the internet and also for the front turn signals.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,430 Posts
I'm not sure what brand of LED panels I have, but I had a strange issue. I have LED panels front and rear.

The turn signals would work just fine with the electronic flasher, so long as the headlights were off. Turn on the headlights, and no turn signals. I chased grounds, etc., finally just put a big high wattage resistor across the front turn signal leads, threw the regular flasher back in - problem solved.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I spent the money for the led bulbs and I can't see any difference between them and the regular bulb
This is kind of what I thought. I had found some really old posts saying as much but I figured that the tech of led had come such a long way in a short period of time. And maybe that wasnt the case anymore. I guess with the panels I get a nice shiny new lens also.
The technology has responded to consumer wishes.The first generation of all LED bulbs were harsh bright white whereas the consumers wanted normal incandescent 2700K - ish colors. You can find off shore made 1157's that are brighter but that is not the standard. the standard is that the LED replacement is the exact same candle power and color then the original it replaces so if you want blinding you have to increase the candle power by installing the boards with banks of LEDs mounted on them.

Some like the look or OEM and the power sipping abilities, and cool to the touch radiation of LED replacements. Others want the look of harsh pinkish turn signals, or Broadway chaser light style of sequential turn signals. . Something for everyone.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the speedway LED's and love them. My sockets were old and worn out, so I hardwired the LEDs panels in. Night and day difference. I wish I would have taken a before and after video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts