Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Head over to the Pro-touring.com forums and look/search in the electrical section there. A few people have done it and i think it looks killer

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I've been considering this mod for my '68. So far all of my funding has gone to other upgrade projects, but it is still on my list. I think it is a very good idea for those concerned more with safety and performance rather than originality.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys! Like HwyStarJoe mentioned, we were chatting about this last night. Rick, I had seen the "Lite Brite" page before, that was what got me going on this project. I have looked at the various pages with products like this and was a little turned off by the price. In the true do-it-myself spirt, I set out to design something like this. I have a basic circuit mocked up for testing right now, but the LED's I am using don't seem bright enough (in daylight) for the marker lamp. So I am hunting down a brighter LED (that I can buy in bulk) for my testing. once I am satisfied with the light output, I will be designing a circuit board for the project. Basically what I have in mind is a panel (designing for my '69 right now) of 50 or so LED's (although the Lite Brite has less) that runs at a lower intensity for the marker lamps, then when you hit the brakes (or turn signal) it brings the panel up to full brightness. I would also like to have four identical panels two on each side that function the same, both run as marker lights and both light up for braking / turn. I could use some ideas about connecting the panels into the existing wiring, so if anybody has any ideas, bring 'em on.
Check the "Project" link at my site (in my signature) for the rough mock up I made last night. If anybody wants to continue this thread via e-mail, drop me a line and we can continue.
Scott

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Why can't you just buy the LED bulbs and install them? Shouldn't be any need to build a current limiting circuit. Or is the bulb the expensive part? I know I've got a catalog around here somewhere with them. They are supposed to last a hellova long time and directly replace common lamps. I can't imagine they would be more than $10 a piece, but then again I haven't looked lately.

-dnult

·
15,370 Posts
Dnult,

Are you talking about the full size replacement LED bulbs? I've seen them too but it's been brought up that they wouldn't work very well in a first gen. housing. LEDs need to point straight at you to be fully effective and they don't in a Camaro taillight. Plus I've heard they suck anyway. Unless you're driving a ricer.
;)

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Ahh, I see. Your probably right. LEDs have a pretty narrow field of view. I hadn't considered that.

-dnult

1 - 8 of 8 Posts