Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiring up my 67 Camaro RS without gauges the front turn signal works. Then, when I brought in the autometer cluster / LED turn signals hooked everything up ...turned ign the turn signals flash but also the speedo and tach light (AUTOMETER) both flash with the turn signal. When I turn on the headlights...no blinking. I'm getting juice from each turn sig wire.
The car has a new AAW harness, DSE electric headlight kit, the turn signals share thye same ground -could this be a problem? I'm sure this is ground related, but I;m lost...I've done a lot of searching but most seem to have the factory setup. The original ground for the cluster isn't hooked up because the AM gauges and LED 's have their own grounds...any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much hair left- I've been pulling it out for the last 3 days.

·
Registered
245 Posts
you need to start taking things back apart.. check each harness individually..undo grounds and set up a battery charger for power...

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
First, what lights are LED?
Just the inst cluster indicators and the rest of the bulbs external of the dash are filament?
Or, is the front t/sig's LED also?

A ground is a ground is a ground. Use the ohmmeter to check continuity of the ground back to the battery, should be less than 1 ohm, maybe two.

As '69 suggests, undo everything, attach a battery charger for proper power, and hook up one circuit at a time.
Instructions given with the gauge panel/lights?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. These are just instrument cluster LED (STOCK DIRECTIONAL/PARKING LIGHT UP FRONT) I'll take everything apart today. Like I said, the front turn signals work fine( turning and hazard) my problem is at the cluster.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,643 Posts
I had a similiar problem when I installed my autometers. All of my gauges were electric. Initially I tied all of the grounds together (series I think its called). When I turned my turn signals on, the other gauge indicators would flicker (like the volt meter). I ended up separating the grounds for the lights (gauge), the gauge (ground) and the turn signals and grounding them separately at different places. This corrected the problem. I suspect your light problem might be tied into that but try separating the grounds first and see if it helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update..I haven't hooked up the tailights yet ( we're expecting them in a few days) wonder if that has any bearing.... I realize the tail is grounded to the tail light panel brackets without these hooked up may be a problem - but I thought just for the rear - all my problems are in the front. Also , when I step on the brake , the gauge lights come on.
One more thing ...the bright/headlamp switch on the floor cuts out the normal headlight when I switch from high beam to normal....sometimes it works , sometimes not...I'll replace that tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
It might as the OE flasher is a thermal circuit breaker and relies on the current drawn through the device to make/break the circuit.

You can replace the flasher with a LF12 flasher at your local store, or a 552, as they are independent of current drawn. This will allow you to troubleshoot the lights.

As far as the present action happening, gauge lights coming on when brake switch is made, make sure the return of the LED's is on a good ground. The gauge illumination is a gray wire from the light switch.

The site for flashers: http://www.novitatech.com/tridonflashers.html LF12 is about middle of the page, yellow cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem. I installed a OEM console gauge kit and gauge cluster tach which replaced the gas gauge. The right turn signal will light and blink the console gauge and gauge cluster. When applying the brake pedal it will light the console and gauge cluster. Any ideas?

·
19,865 Posts
Sounds like a ground back feeding...as above said, seperate them :yes: guages on one and lights on another

1 - 9 of 9 Posts