Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lee gear box and went to install the new rag joint and column and there is about 1" difference between the two. The column is spaced all the way back and I double checked all the other tolerances and everything seems to be where it needs to be. The only difference I can see is my original 69 Camaro tilt column was a column shift and I traded for a floor shift out of a Chevelle. Exactly the same column, double checked the lengths and they were exactly the same, so I am not sure that was it. I used my original Camaro column mount and just had to align up the holes that were less than .125" off so I don't think that is it either. My only other thought would be the spline length on the Lee box seems to be slotted pretty far down to except the rag joint...I might be able to regrind a new slot further up the shaft to make up the difference or am I missing something dumb here? Any ideas? Thanks in advance fellas

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Check with Lee Mfg. I believe they use a different rag joint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awwwwwww hells bells! I hope your right because I was about to blow a gasket! Thanks for the quick answer

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If they built the box out of a later model box, then yeah you need the correct coupling and yours probably wouldn't go on the splines anyway. Call them and ask if it requires the early 80's Chevy 4x2 truck coupling. If so, they will offer to sell you a GM one for about $75 but you can get the Dorman 31011 from Rock Auto for $41 after searching google for a Rock Auto discount code. Or if you're in a real itch for it they have them at most parts stores for around $60.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
So the Dorman 31011 rag is the exact same as the one you would get for a Lee box through ATS?

If they are building their box on a late model Saginaw box with 3/4" input shaft then it is supposed to work. You'd have to verify through Lee Mfg if that is the one you need. Super Chevy or someone did an article with Lee Mfg and gave the part number for the GM coupling ($75) and also the Dorman part number as a lower cost alternative. It's the one needed to fit the IROC, Monte Carlo SS, or Caprice police box to a first gen steering column.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=16166

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. The amount of knowledge that can be gleaned here is amazing! I will check with Lee and post what I find. Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I checked with Lee and they said I need to extend the column. I guess I didn't realize that they telescoped. He said there is like 4" of telescope in a factory column but most the time they are corroded stuck. I haven't had a chance to get home and check it out yet but I never would have guessed. Tell me I am the only one that didn't know that?! Feeling pretty silly about it

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
So I checked with Lee and they said I need to extend the column. I guess I didn't realize that they telescoped. He said there is like 4" of telescope in a factory column but most the time they are corroded stuck. I haven't had a chance to get home and check it out yet but I never would have guessed. Tell me I am the only one that didn't know that?! Feeling pretty silly about it

You were brave enough to come back and tell everyone. That's more than you'd get out of me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts