Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I use my left turn signal both my front park lamps blink, but it is very dim. When I use the right side turn signal it works no problem. I have replaced my turn signal switch assembly and my front and rear light assemblys. This seems to be a ground issue, but from where? Both the park lamps have aground wire. How do I test them? Where else could the issue be?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Look at the lamp housings. In the 69 they make the ground. Maybe the same in a 67. Also check the flasher module - does the left look bright when used as a parking light and not when flashing? Do they flash bright when the emergency flashers are on? If so swap the emergency flasher module - mounted on the fuse box with the turn signal flasher module which is under the dash by the radio. If you get bright then replace the module.

·
Super Moderator
32,349 Posts
Also to compliment Brian's suggestion, check and reattach the LF ground wire to radiator support using a toothed lock washer under the terminal.
Correct bulb number installed? Same as RF?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
All the symptoms of a bad ground in the left front light. If the ground isn't made, it will find a ground path through the parking light circuit, effectively lighting up the left a bit brighter than the right, but both at the same time.

If you have a multi-meter, ohm out between the pressed in brass lamp housing and your grounding point, should be really low, << 1 Ohm.

Mine was doing this, when I inspected the housing, there is a brass cylinder pressed in the middle that the bulb hooks to. That is pressed into a metal housing that is then mechanically attached to the outer housing. The resistance over 40+ years between these mechanical touch connections had built up so much that I wasn't getting a ground. I had to braze them together...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I thought to maybe just replace the housing. Heck, im running out of things to replace. I am pretty sure the bulb is correct and I checked the ground wire to radiator support. I cleaned it all off with a wire brush and reattached it. Haven't done the flasher check yet. Ill check it. If thats okay I just replace the housing,,,,,

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Had a similar issue also and ended up pulling both housings and brackets and gave them a good cleaning. make sure you get into the bulb sockets also. i used emery cloth with wd40 and finished them with a coating of electrical grease.

The grounds are important as has already been mentioned using the star washers to secure your grounds. It was however not untill i cleaned my housings and sockets on both that the problem was resolved. I am now aware how a little oxidation can interfere with things and not know from just looking at it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts