Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there has the front and/or rear shoulder belts for 69s convertibles. I need the length of the long pieces. My set is 60" and a fellow convert owner has a 48" set. My thoughts are the 48" set is for the rear and the 60" set is for the front.

Anyone?

I'm going to bolt my set up and see, but mocking the 60" up, there is a little over a foot of the loose tail. I would think that extra had to be there to adjust the seat forward and different sized people.

Please help! I am scheduling a trip to the seat belt restorer in NJ on Monday(Charlie, nice guy. Thanks JohnZ!) to make up some copies, so I kinda have to put this to bed by then.

Thanks, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kevin-Ijust went out and measured mine,and they were 48 inches. Though i've never used them i have wondered that they seemed short.Perhaps someone else can enlighten us.Hope this was of some help, Greg.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just curious...I have a 69 convertible with lap belts only. Where do the shoulder belts mount to? As I understand, which could be wrong, you must mount a shoulder belt above the height of the shoulder or your spine could compress in an accident.

Bob

·
11,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob, They were not up on the lastest crash data in 69
The fronts are mounted to a bolt that is part of the top lift cyl hinge and routed behind the top well cover. Kinda near where the qtr window crank is. The rears went under the well liner and attached to the trunk hinge support.

Both locations were not ideal and the rears! ugh. Depending on whether the top was up or down gave you different degrees of slack. Just don't be buckled up in the rear when you put the top down

The locations are documented in the Fisher body manual. BTW, the shoulder harnesses were reversed on converts. The tongue was the floor section and the long section over the shoulder had the buckles. There was also a small plastic sleeve to protect webbing were it came out of the cover or well liner and had a plastic clip that held the loose end to the mainstrap.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)

·
11,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I set up the belts in the rear and front. Looks like the 48" is fine in the rear, but would have a very short tail in the front, 1" or 2". The 60" one would have a 10"-11" tail with the seat all the way up. In normal position, the 60" has about 1" 10" and the 48" would have a 10" tail, give or take.

I will keep the 60" set for the front and make up a 48" set for the rears.

Thanks, Kevin

·
11,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Sorry I couldn't post earlier, my ISPs DNS server died and I couldn't post to the site. That is my car, and the belts are remanufactured. The belts are about 61" long, and that thing holding the tails together is the clear plastic sleeve that goes over the belt. I wasn't sure it if went under the side panel, or under the headrest so right now it just holds the tails together. There is a black plastic holder on the belts that you can't see behind the headrest, it's about an inch wide and holds the belts together pretty tight. There is also a retainer on the arm rest to store the belts when not in use.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
11,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark, thanks! Sorry about your ISP troubles.
I decided that the 48" (just belt)measurement is correct. With the bends and folds, I am using 56" as the overall length of webbing. I have 1 set (2 of each) of the sleeve, retainer and buckle holders, but I have my eye on a couple more buckle holders. The seat belt guy I went to did not have any sleeves or retainers, but he was thinking about repro-ing them, because they are the same for Corvettes and other GM cars. We are just using something close and if I find them, we can change then real quick.

From the Fisher body manual, the plasic sleeve was the belt protector where it was clamped by the well cover and for the rear, where a metal strap was on the rear seat support when it went under the well liner.

With his Corvette belt knowledge and inventory and my Camaro knowledge, we are going to try to expand his business into Camaros as well.

So If anyone needs the their belts worked on, Let me know.

Kevin

------------------

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 02-19-2002).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts