Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

I have a '68 with the standard ralley wheels. With the lug nuts tightened down on the front wheels some of the nuts are only half way on. It seems like the length of the lugs are short. ???
How far down do the lug nuts need to be threaded onto the lugs to be safe?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,583 Posts
hmm, sounds like some have been replaced with the incorrect length. I'd say there should be enough thread on each lug to at least fill each nut...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info!
I measured the length of the studs and they are all 3/4 of an inch.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,583 Posts
In your original post, you mention "some nuts are only half way on". Sorry, but I gotta assume some studs have been replaced. Are these drum or disc ? I just measured my old drums and the studs are 1" long. Don't recall what my replacement disc hubs are but I do know the studs are long enough to utilize all threads on the nuts.

But, if only half the threads are good enough for NHRA, I guess it must be safe enough for any car....?;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
But, if only half the threads are good enough for NHRA, I guess it must be safe enough for any car....?;)
This is important enough to revisit. My choice of words may have left the wrong impression. NHRA rules require that the stud extend into THE HEX PORTION of the nut at least the distance equal to the diameter of the stud. For example, if you are using a wheel that has an extra thick hub dimension, such as a Weld, using "only half the threads" instead of reaching half-an-inch into the hex portion of the nut is an important distinction. Be sure that you understand the intent of the rule! Losing a wheel under power is serious business.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,583 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

Measuring a stock, original lug nut in round numbers, they're only about 1/2" deep overall. 3/8" on hex portion.... Given stock 7/16 studs, it would seem anything less than a full threaded lug nut would NOT be permissible by NHRA rules...?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

Measuring a stock, original lug nut in round numbers, they're only about 1/2" deep overall. 3/8" on hex portion.... Given stock 7/16 studs, it would seem anything less than a full threaded lug nut would NOT be permissible by NHRA rules...?
I would agree with your statement. Stock studs and tapered lug nuts are really not the norm in today's competitive world. We've been using a minimum of 1/2-20 studs, especially on drive axles for many, many years. Open-ended lug nuts were originally required to help prevent unsafe combinations of short studs and thick wheels, essentially protecting us from ourselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts