Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I bought a set of AFR 180 Eliminator heads for my 92' Corvette LT1 engine. I was told from AFR that I could use all parts of my GMPP hot cam kit. But I want to buy new pushrods => any tipps?
I understand that I could use the same length.

Is it a good recommendation to change over to a HD timing chain with a newer chain cover '95+?

Thanks for any tipps!

With a K&N air filter, hedman headers, open 70mm exhaust, 6M Tremec and 52 mm throttle body I expect ~400rwhp => realistic?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Your best bet, if you want to do it right, is to measure for them with a push rod checking tool. If you haven't seen one, it's a pushrod that is adjustable. Once you get it to the right length, you pull it out and measure it. Obviously you can't do that until you get the motor together.
Watch this video. The guy works for Straub and is super knowledgeable. Extremely nice guy to talk to as well.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Good video. But, I am certain he was working on a hydraulic roller. If you are running a solid lifter cam, you will need to compensate for the valve lash.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Pushrod length is the same for a hydraulic or solid cam. He is using checking springs (those thine wire single springs under the retainer) to keep from compressing the plunger in a hydraulic lifter. All you are looking for is the distance between the rocker and the tappet, you add lash to the valve adjustment with a solid after hitting zero lash.

Additional worry is cold lash differs from hot lash and you have to acount for the growth of aluminum heads with heat.

Big Dave

·
3,408 Posts
Markus,
Just talked to one of my customers that does nothing but LT1 engines and he said the stock length pushrods work fine with the AFR heads. The stock pushrods will probably be fine with the hot cam but if you want to change them any good name brand pushrod should work. Just watch the lengths. Different manufacturers seem to show a slightly different length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts