Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Z28 110,000 miles on body 10k on remanufactured motor.Flomaster Cat back, K&N intake. I bought my camaro in september of 2006 after about a week i was having haveing knocking problems in the valves which cause me to have a dead cylinder in #7, i brought it to my mechhanic, he opened it up and found a broken lifter, so i had him fix it, 2 months after it was fixed the knocking starts again, i am fed up and need to do sumthing! can this be a messed of cam shaft thats causeing this problem???:confused: and if it is is it worth fixing?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Simply replacing a broken lifter without examining the cause is asking for more problems that can lead to debre contamination and destruction of the engine. A lifter can pop out of a bore because a valve spring or rocker broke but putting the lifter back in does not FIX the problem that caused it. It would take a tremendous amount of force to break a lifter perhaps the cam walked and it struck an adjacent lobe, who knows unless the cause was known.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It also could be caused by an adjusting nut backing off. It definitely needs to get a close inspection to see if the lifter bore has been damaged. I would remove the intake at least and check the bore. While it is off you could turn the engine over twice to see if there is any visible cam damage. If no damage is found you could install a new lifter but check for a bent pushrod, damaged rocker, and install a new lock nut. If it happens again you will need to pull the heads and cam to see what is causing the problem. Is it the same cylinder as last time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help, i am goin to take the intake manifold off today and the valve vover and check things out, the noise it hard to pin point what cylinder it is, it was number 7 last time so i have a feeling it could be the same one thins time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts