Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the 69 on the road and noticed that the headlights dim slightly when it is at idle and get brighter when the engine speeds up . Is this normal with these cars ? Everything is new, alternator, regulator, battery, wiring, etc. The regulator is the solid state type and has no adjustments.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you want headlights and dash lights that are brighter. Without dimming. Check out MAD electronics. Do Marks new system. Takes the load off of the old chevy wiring. I can't explain it all. But I did do the New System. The difference is night and day. A lot of info if you do a search on MAD.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
If you want headlights and dash lights that are brighter. Without dimming. Check out MAD electronics. Do Marks new system. Takes the load off of the old chevy wiring. I can't explain it all. But I did do the New System. The difference is night and day. A lot of info if you do a search on MAD.
He has new wiring and parts. It would seem he has the correct voltage going to the headlights.

Mad Electrical shows how to add relays to the headlights instead of going thru the headlight switch.

I would get a digitial meter and read what voltage you have at the headlights and coming form the alternator. Check it at idle and when revving the motor to about 2000 rpm.

A new wiring system should not need the relays. Usually they are added because of old wiring / headlight switch.

I do add them to all my cars that I rewire, even with new wiring. Newer Halogen headlights pull more amperage which the stock headlight switch will not handle.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
If you want to maintain the stock look with out hacking up your original wiring,you can get the conversion kit that converts from the stock external voltage regulator to the later model internal regulator.I had the same issue you have with my 69.I bought the conversion kit for 15 bucks and a new alternator from a 75 or later camaro.The difference is night and day.No more dim lights at idle.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
If you want to maintain the stock look with out hacking up your original wiring,you can get the conversion kit that converts from the stock external voltage regulator to the later model internal regulator.I had the same issue you have with my 69.I bought the conversion kit for 15 bucks and a new alternator from a 75 or later camaro.The difference is night and day.No more dim lights at idle.
X2

I just swapped in a 63A 10si internal reg alternator. The voltage output at idle is noticeably better. Easy swap also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X2

I just swapped in a 63A 10si internal reg alternator. The voltage output at idle is noticeably better. Easy swap also.
How is it wired up? Were there any modifications to the wiring plug for the external regulator? What is done to this regulator plug?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts