Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my front light harness on my 67 camaro. I took the old one off yesterday and started putting the new one on and realized there was something funky going on with the adapter for the alternator. My alternator is on the passenger side and not the drivers side. I am pretty sure the alternator originally was on the drivers side. Because the alternator is on the passenger side the harness that goes from the alternator to the light harness drapes across the motor. There is a plug along with a screw adapter on the harness that the alternator wire attaches to (see attached pics). At some point someone spliced the alternator attachment and I noticed that the male end that attaches the light harness plug only has one male end. My plug has two holes. One is a blue wire and one is a white (or tan/yellow color). What is going on here? Which plug should I put the single male end back it to, the blue or yellow wire? I am sure they spliced the alternator wire because the factory one was not long enough since the alternator moved. Long story short, I want to get this thing back to where it is supposed to be. For now though do I plug the single male end of the alternator wire into the blue or white plug?
The first picture is an old picture when I first got the car (yes, the ugly exhaust manifolds are gone). If you look closely you can see the plastic conduit that goes back behind the power steering pump across to the alternator.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you still have your old harness, use it as a guide for your alt wiring setup.

Too bad you didn't read through a few of the parts suppliers catalogs as they stock '67 and '68 light harnesses for passenger side alternators (a common mod) w/integrated or non-integrated voltage regulators.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know where everything goes as far as my new harness, except the alternator plug. I did not mark which hole the male alternator end was in before I pulled it off. So I am not sure if it goes in the hole with the blue or white wire. Anyone know what the difference is between these two wires? Yeh, I wasn't aware the passenger side alternator came factory from the other side, until yesterday.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Blue and white control the field coil to tell the alt to charge and the lead to the GEN light. Both flow back to the Voltage Regulator.
From memory since I don't have my AIM at work with me:
Blue is the F or 2 wire, White is the 1 wire on the VR connector. Looking at the back of the Alt, blue on the F term on the pass side, white on the 1 term drivers side.

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Blue wire would go to the F terminal on the back side of the alt, pass side spade.
White wire goes to R terminal.
Blue wire needs connected as the blue wire is field voltage from the VR making the alt convert energy, ie, run electrical accessories and recharge the battery.
The white wire is stator return from the alt to the VR and this voltage energizes the field relay inside the VR and relays BAT voltage to the other side of the GEN light turning off the light if the alt is running.

Brian, you type fast.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so if I had to choose, for now, plug into the blue wire? So would it be a pain to move the alternator back to the other side? How much would be involved in doing that? Does it matter what block you have? Mine is a 350 that came out of a 77 vette. Would I just need to buy new brackets for the alternator and the power steering pump? Or do they sell a harness that would accomodate the alternator on the drivers side? I bought the stock replacement harness from American Autowire. I think I could return it, if there is another option out there. Just need to figure out the easiest fix, but at the same time I don't want to do it half a**ed like the previous owner of this car did.

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
I would plug in both of them, blue and white.
Changing over to drvr side would require drvr side brackets, as the bracket bolts to the exhaust manifold bolts, the upper adjustment bracket, the 'short' water pump, aka, '68 w/pump, corresponding pulleys, both crankshaft and water pump and PS, PS bracketry for the 'short' w/pump, and the bolts to bolt everything up.

It's easier to rewire the alt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So do they make a stock replacement light harness for a 67 camaro with a passenger side alternator?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Call American Auto Wire and see if they can set you up with a pigtail to change it over. Or just to see what they recomend. They have been very helpful every time I have called them.

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
I believe you would have to ask for a '69 harness as up to '68 were drvr side.
I was side tracked in answering, so looks like it is answered.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I called American Autowire and yes they were helpful. The sell a harness for a 67 that is for a passenger side alternator. I just have to upgrade to internally regulated alternator, which I probably needed to do anyways. The shop here in Tulsa said he would take back the one I bought from him and I ordered the correct one this morning. Part # is CA72094PI for anyone in need of this same harness. It's $30 more because of the additional wiring, but I don't care.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, if they didn't have the option for the passenger harness then I would get the pigtail, but I don't like how the current set up goes across my engine bay. I should have the new one in by the end of next week. A little research before hand would have saved me the hassle, but I guess thats how we learn things sometimes.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
There's no need to involve a '69 harness. The one he ordered from AAW is a custom hybrid specifically for the '67 and the newer SI alternators.

In order to save you a little research time, the 10SI alternators work OK as they are almost the exact same size as the DN, but the slightly bigger 12SI are even better.

Both can be clocked to suit your needs and will bolt right up to your existing alternator brackets.

Don't be tempted by the CS130 alternator's high output as it takes a different alternator plug from the one you'll get from AAW and it has proved to be a less than durable alternator, even with the Iceburg upgrade. They have a little trouble charging a low battery to the point where they easily burn out. The 12SI doesn't care, it just keeps working. A proper fitting CS130 also needs a custom back case brace.

The 12SI is available everywhere for less money and as much amperage as the CS130 (if you're into high amps).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info on the alternators. Sounds like the 12SI is the way to go. Hopefully ill get the harness in by the middle of the week and I can get this thing on the road again......

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
It depends whether or not you have high draw accessories. If you do have a lot of high draw accessories (big kickass stereo, lighting, fuel pumps, etc) then bigger is better. But your wiring harness will need to be upgraded as well. I beleive that 63A was the highest rated alt on a 1st gen, and if you have basically a factory load on the elec system that would be plenty.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to put a 94A 12si alt on your car with the factory harness, provided you aren't demanding 94 amps from your alt. They only deliver what is demanded of them.

I just went through this last year, and replaced my externally regulated 63A alt with a 63 10si, mainly for the better output at idle, but my regulator was screwed up as well, so I took care of it in one swell foop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts