Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find ways to make my 3rd gen lighter, I will soon be putting more performance parts into the car (aluminum heads, cams etc.) But I need to find a way to lighten the whole car up, I'm taking out the back seats, installing very light seats in the front, contimplating a t-roof, I want to rip out more things, but at the same time it IS my daily driver so I need more suggestions, do you guys have any?

------------------
1990 Camaro IROC-Z 305 TPI.

www.geocities.com/camaromandan/home.html

·
Registered
503 Posts
Id get rid of the stock hood for starters. Those hoods weigh a ton and besides a fiberglass hood with a four inch cowl makes the car look faster. Stripping the A/C if equiped will lose a good 150+ lbs easy.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
257 Posts
strip the interior, take out all the sound deadener, and anything you don't really need on a daily basis. check your undercarriage, if it's really dirty, you can lose some pounds by scraping everything and cleaning it up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an oil based rustproofing throughout the car that I think I'll need, I know I cans strip the soundproofing, I have a system in the back with a box but I'd like to keep that, how much weight would gutting the sound system lose?

------------------

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry not the sound system, the sound proofing, how much weight would it take off to gut a good portion of the sound proofing?

------------------

·
Registered
73 Posts
i agree with Joekool1234567, you sould save a bundle that way. try a whole front end (fenders, hood so on), many places offer fiberglass doors and trunk lids. but no bigger than a trunk lid is on a 3rd gen you would only save about a pound.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Although this won't lighten the car by any more than MAYBE a pound, get rid of that dusty old insulation on the underside of the hood. I mean, if it is miraculously clean, leave it be, but they get really dusty and sprinkle the dust into your air filter. I needn't say why this is bad.

On a side note, about the soundproofing, my neighbor had a little mazda that he gutted free of the soundproofing. In total, he shed over 500 pounds by doing this. Then you have the mundane things like the jack and spare tire if you don't mind going without those, heh, but really, go fiberglass with whatever body parts you can afford, and lose some of the insulation. I myself am a bit of a purist and prefer to leave that stuff alone and just make a more potenet engine, because 3rd gens aren't really that heavy to begin with.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Removing unsprung wieght will make the car get moving quicker. Try buying after market rims, the GM aluminum rims wiegh a ton, also use lower profile tires because they have less material. Use aluminum calipers and after market rotors and drums. Tubeular A-arms tend to wiegh less than stock stamped steel A-arms too.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
joe the stamped arms are light also, and they work well, so why spend a fortune replacing them. the $500 you spend on that could be spend on valve train parts, or a glass cowl hood or something cooler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my personal opinion and experience swapping motor to ls1 will make the car about 2.900 pound fiberglass doors front fenders other stuff might be expensive it's cheaper to ls1 swap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts