Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody can help? i recently finished fixing all the lights, everything was working!! then i decided to fix the horn. well the horn relay was shot all rusted so i bought a new one and hooked up the wires exactly as they were in the right place. got the horn to work but all my exterior lights and dash lights decided not to work again! the only thing that works are my headlights and my blinkers evrything else is dead. sounds crazy but any oppinions? thanx

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Get a volt meter and measure voltage drops in series with the circuit. Incrementally test connections from the battery to the load. You'll find voltage where there shouldn't be and drops that are unreasonably large. When you feel good about the switch, fuse, connector, etc, check the ground.

Best way to check ground is to get a jumper cable and connect it to the negative post of the battery. Then you can measure ground voltage at various places including the light harness. If you see more than a 0.020 volts drop anywhere, be suspect.

Bad connections will play off each other also. For example, the switch might have been less resistive than the fuse. But when the fuse was replaced, it's resistance went down significantly. Then when the circuit is activated, the switch which was good enough before, turns out to be the weak link. Kind of like fixing christmas lights. :mad:

Be on the lookout for corrosion, heat, and voltage drops. You'll definately find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts