Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing my PS pump and Alternator and off to a bad start. First, I ordered repop stuff because it's cheap and nothing fits. Even grinding, bending and beating isn't enough. So I get original used of Fleabay and guess what? Fits PERFECT.
Now, I have to line up the pulleys but that isn't as easy as it sounds. Although the original brackets fit perfect, there is a slight variance of only a degree of two when looking at them from a belt perspective.
How is everyone lining these pulleys up. Is there a trick or do you just bite the bullet and shim, washer or wedge them till they line up. I'm pretty anal about that. I dint want the Alt belt flying off at 6 grand.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The only pulley I had trouble with was the power steering pully (lower left of the block). I think the revised engine mounts changed the alignment of the bracket. Or perhaps there were originally washers installed on the engine mount that were lost by the original owner.

I used by cut-off tool to slice the bracket where it makes a right angle and then bent the bracket to line everything up. I still have yet to weld the crack shut, but the alignment is good now.

I used a couple of tools to align the pulleys. An aluminum ruler worked for some of them. I also have a magnetic laser level that I rigged up to shoot a beam down the pulley groves which worked really well.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
And if you don't have a laser beam handy, you can use a 1/4" wood dowel. One about a foot long works well. Just lay it into the pulley and it'll point to where the belt will go. Accurate to 'laser' specs too.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
march pulleys and brackets and i can get it to 7k no problem

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys, the dowel trick sounds like a good start for me. Sometimes I just cant tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me. It seems straight but then from a different angle it's crooked.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
It seems straight but then from a different angle it's crooked.

Everytime I look at my belt alignment it appears different also but believe me, it's straight as it's never thrown a belt or wore down a belt on the edges!:noway:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there someone here that can post a couple close up pic's of the alternator mounting setup and the power steering setup for a big block application?
Thx!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts