Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so when putting in a new cancelling cam on my steering column i seemed to have bent the locking plate with the removal tool

I cant find another one anywhere

Does anybody have a source or a part number its for a 69 tilt floor shift

Thanks

·
14,491 Posts
Reactions: yellow69RS

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
For failing to read before posting earlier, I brought shame on my entire family. Trying to assuage that guilt, I went to my basement library and dug into my old and musty Chevrolet parts picture books and Chevrolet parts books with actual numbers in them, not just pictures.

Group 6.500 PLATE, shaft lock plate, part number 7805227.

Fits;

69 All with tilt wheel

70 All with tilt wheel, except Camaro

71 Full size cars and Chevelle, Camaro w/ tilt wheel

72-75 All with tilt wheel

Hopefully this information, and the whip lashes, will cause me to read the entire post before posting in haste, sincerely..... :)

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
14,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the removal tool severely bent it. it started bending it way before i could remove the ring

the problem with those tools is that they push down on the outer edge of the ring bending it before it even pushes the plate down. im gonna cut it and narrow it so it pushes on the center

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
You don't have to cut and narrow the tool. Just put it in a vice and squeeze the ends closer. I have one I bought over 20 years ago. It is a Leslie fleet tool. Never bent a plate.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't have to cut and narrow the tool. Just put it in a vice and squeeze the ends closer. I have one I bought over 20 years ago. It is a Leslie fleet tool. Never bent a plate.

I tried narrowing it with a hammer

The force of tightening the nut bent it back

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one to the bottom left looks like the one i need

He says they are from a service station buy out

Attachments

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
The one to the bottom left looks like the one i need
Don't think so.

The one for a 69 with tilt has tiny screws that are way out to the outer edge to hold the cover on. The lower right looks close, but I can't open the picture to be sure. Here are a couple of pictures of a 69 that I have had sitting in the corner for years, and no, it isn't for sale, and I'm not parting it out.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts