Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I do espec if reusing orginal bolts , often they can be slightly streched which gives different torques
Havnt got the bottle in front of me but think it is 242 I use...not the stuff for perminent locking up.
I also use in suspension/ drive line bolts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If you torque them up properly and to the bolt manufacturer's spec (not the engine maker's), they won't come lose.
As suggested by ARP, I use ARP's moly lube for more consistant torquing. In effect, it's the opposite of thread locker, but it's the correct way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used red for both. Reason I asked the question was that the ARP flywheel bolts' instructions recommended moly grease or assembly lube (their own brand, of course!), or motor oil. The PRW flywheel instructions stated that LocTite should be used for the fasteners. Pressure plate from RAM had no recommendations, and neither did the ARP clutch bolt kit.

I assembled the whole thing last Thursday, and have engine/trans back in the engine bay.

Obviously, I see that there is no "right" way to do this.

I used the lower torque values, as if the LocTite has the same lubricity as motor oil.

Joe

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
There are different grades of red...As stated above the grade I use is red and comes as a stick and liquid
Red the label as to what the application is for....dont use the perment locking type, it is like using super glue and you will never get the bolts out again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Permatex ThreadLocker Red 27100.
States that it "may require heat" to remove.
Been using it for years and never once needed heat to remove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts