Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1969 RS Camaro
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace the front to back brake line on my 69 Camaro manual brake system. The old one did not come out of there without bending it. Any suggestions on how to install a new prefabricated line? Thanks Alex

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You have to take your time and work it in, they don't just fall into place. Having the subframe disconnected from the car might make the front a bit easier. Bending and reshaping as your working it into place is usually required too.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
On mine - Power disc front, drum rears working back to front with the line tended to help get it in place. Patience and a bit of muscle gets it done.

·
Registered
1969 RS Camaro
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got the line installed, wasn't pretty though, but really not as bad as I thought is was gonna be. Any tips on bleeding the system?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I got the line installed, wasn't pretty though, but really not as bad as I thought is was gonna be. Any tips on bleeding the system?
I want to replace mine also. Where did you get yours? How did you wind up doing it? You said it wasn't pretty, what would you have done differently?

·
Registered
1969 RS Camaro
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchase the line from inline tubing and I have to say they did a nice job. I slid the line into the back first (not hook up) then went forward with it. The part that wasn't pretty was the front part. You have to bend it some to get it in there, but you bend it back once in place. The installation once in place looks like factory. I liked inline tubing they shipped fast and the tubing was like factory. I see your here in Houston let me know if you need help I can come over. Alex

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Alex - I prefer the old school two man way. First make sure the master is bled first. Next start at the furthest from master, usually the rear pass side and hook a clear hose to the fitting and drop into a empty soda bottle. Then open the valve and have someone hit the brake pedal with a push-push-push then hold to the floor movement. When the fluid or air stops flowing at your location, repeat until you get all fluid. Then move to drivers rear, then pass front, then last the drivers front. Some folks have good luck with the pressurized cans but I never did, I just got brake fluid all over the place. A/C or SS vehicles with the valve under the drivers door may need to flush the valve to get trapped air out, also a good way to test if the valve is clogged or non-functioning.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Alex - I prefer the old school two man way. First make sure the master is bled first. Next start at the furthest from master, usually the rear pass side and hook a clear hose to the fitting and drop into a empty soda bottle. Then open the valve and have someone hit the brake pedal with a push-push-push then hold to the floor movement. When the fluid or air stops flowing at your location, repeat until you get all fluid. Then move to drivers rear, then pass front, then last the drivers front. Some folks have good luck with the pressurized cans but I never did, I just got brake fluid all over the place. A/C or SS vehicles with the valve under the drivers door may need to flush the valve to get trapped air out, also a good way to test if the valve is clogged or non-functioning.
I think that a misprint what I have in bold now.

Pump pump pump the pedal then open valve not before pumping.

Jeff

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yes you are correct. That's what I get for having a caffeine free morning.

Reactions: yellow69RS
1 - 9 of 9 Posts