Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a '69 Camro this saturday and wanted to gather your thoughts on what to look for. Trouble areas common to that year?

The newspaper ad listed it as: '69 Camaro SS, One owner, garage kept, 89K miles, $8900.

However when I called the guy he said it turned out that it wasn't an SS, that a collector had come by and pointed out all the reasons that it really wasn't. I found that to be a little weird - the original owner doesn't know what kind of car they have?

Anyway, he said it has 89K miles, ralley wheels, 12 bolt rear, Muncie 4 speed, 250hp 350, Hugger orange (repainted 10 years ago) with white stripes, no rust, a good driver.

What do you guys think?

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
beware of rust around the wheels, in the trunk, around the rear window, etc.

Is this car being sold by a dealer by any chance? I recall a sale of a car that matches your description on Ebay awhile back that was out of Illinois. They were marketing it as an SS and said that it had the 350/255 horse motor...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's not being sold be a dealer. It's actually up in Madison, WI, which is a 3 hour drive for me, so I want to make sure I know what to look for while I have the chance.

Thanks.

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427

·
Registered
870 Posts
It's possible that the car may be an SS, but without the original engine. Things to look for on an SS are: 1)check the firewall tag, if it has an X?? code, it can denote if a true SS. 2) 12 bolt rear (already there). 3) front disk brakes. These are the most obvious things that have to be there, but not a complete list. The telltale sign will be in the firewall tag. Get a decode listing of what the codes mean to help you out.

------------------
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed

[This message has been edited by drdave69 (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a RPO code list on the internet somewhere?

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Look for rust in front floor pans, rockers and rear frame rails also SS cara will have front disc brakes the list goes on.Just do your homework good luck.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Biggest thing to look for is rust. Check the rear quarter panels from within the trunk to see if new partial qtr skins were ever put on. Check the dates and codes on the 12 bolt rear. They are on the passenger side facing toward the front of the car. You'll need a flashlight and probably a stiff brush to clean it off. Get the info off the cowl tag, the engine pad and check the transmission too. Check the carb to see if it's a 2 or 4 bbl and get the #'s off that as well. If the car is solid and has the original 350/4 speed with 12 bolt rear, that's a decent price even if it isn't an SS350.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
326 Posts
bring a mirror with you, to check out the floor and quarters

------------------
1968 Camaro RS SS
1966 Ford Mustang

·
Registered
29 Posts
And take a flashlight to peek into the door with the window rolled down, looking for signs of skin replacement, rust and bondo. Also a phillips screwdriver, take the vents off the rear quarter near the door striker. You can see the rear inner wall and rear quarter sheet metal from the inside.

Also make sure the rear leafs are the same, I bought mine and later found out one spring had 5 leafs and the other was a monoleaf. Ouch!
RPO and other details can be found at http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml
------------------
68 Base Coupe, 327/210hp with TH400
99 Silverado

[This message has been edited by Lownf4me (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Make sure you don't look at this car at night, it can hide all sorts of problems, not to mention that it's white, that color hides damage well. Bring a fridge magnet from pizza hut or the like (flexable thin kind) and put it all over the car to check for heavy bondo. It will fall off it there is too much....
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/5050.htm" TARGET=_blank>
50/50
</A>

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link to Camaros.org. A lot of good information there - I thought us Corvette owners were meticulous about the details!

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Rust, rust, rust. Look at the condition of the body bushings, especially the middle and rearmost. That's were the subframe will rot through. Repairable but not fun. If there's a mat in the trunk, pull it up and look. Jack the car up ( with stands ) enough to carefully check the floors. There may not be an X code on the trim tag if it was made prior to the end of Dec.but SS' had disc brakes.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
302 Posts
One thing no one mentioned yet. Check the wiring harnesses.You might think twice about buying the car if they are speghetti.

I've got to replace the under dash harness and tail light harness on my 67. They are not cheap, especially the under dash one.

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not to gloat or anything... But I just picked up a 69 Ragtop for 9K that was in pretty good shape! I hope that whatever you decide to do... That you feel good about the purchase and it's a car that you enjoy!

I now own a 67 and 69 and I just love em!

Good luck on your purchase and most of all have fun!

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

1 - 17 of 17 Posts