Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking for my first "1st-generation" Camaro and I have a question for you owners out there. I am 6'4" 220#s. Will I fit comfortably in this car? I used to own a 70 Chevelle a few years back and it was tight, yet mostly comfortable.

I have been looking for a nice 67 or 68 Camaro in the North Alabama area. I haven't found one to look at yet so I really don't know of the fit.

I want a clean stock or close to stock Camaro 350 automatic. Rally Sport would be great. I would be interested in a full resto or an excellent condition original. Great website and thanks much!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
In stock form, no, you won't. At least I didn't, and I'm 2" shorter than you.

I made up seat extender brackets that moved the seat back about 4 inches, and it was much better.

Welcome to the club

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
one of my friends is 6'5 or so and about 300 pounds, and he seems to think his 89 Mustang is comfortable, and those are smaller than a first gen Camaro.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I saw some extender brackets on ebay recently. They allow you to set the seat back further for more legroom.

I'm only 5-10 but weigh 245-lbs and I can barely squeeze in between the stock steering wheel and the seat.
Yes... I am dieting. :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
My problem was legroom & knees hitting the steering wheel-

The bracket is black in this image. It's very simple really.... just 2 pieces of steel (one for each side), 2 studs, and 2 holes to mount the extenders to the original seat locations. You could also put nuts on the extenders and run bolts through instead of using the studs.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I am 6'4" 210-215lbs and I can tell you that it is not a comfortable ride driving a first gen (of most other cars). In stock form you will be able to get in and drive but, anything over 30 minutes and you will beging to feel cramped. As long as you don't plan on having a passenger behind you when you drive, I would just do as mentioned above and move the seat back a few inches. It is a bolt in mod so you can always reverse it. Maybe even a different style (deeper) would do to the trick.

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
Im 6'1" 240 and my head was into the roof all the time, I had my metal man build these for me and cured my issue. Very similar to the others notes in previous threads. Everyone has different body styles in their legs and torsos. My legs are very short 31" inseam but a tall torso so I sit up higher in any chair. I had these made of 3/8th stock steel and they dont move a bit with me sitting back. You loose back seat space of course, but thats ok.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I knew this going in...I'm a little over 6'5", 235 lbs and I did find it cramped. I had to have the seat moved back as far as possible. I took it to the local guy here in L.A. (Markel's) that does interiors and seats for the Lakers and other celebs. I had them weld in the new supports because I have a convertible. Result?
This is the most comfortable car I have EVER driven....and I've been in the car business for a good many years. The stock steering wheel height is perfect for this modification. I even had them pad and wrap my stock steering wheel to fit my big hands. As the seat goes back, the back portion will drop back a little also increasing headroom. Make sure it doesn't tilt too far back though. If you have stock seats, you don't really have seat back adjustment. It is well worth the effort! And the seat is still adjustable, my wife can drive it in the full forward position, although she IS 5'8". You can see the end result in my car pics in my signature.

(Man, I didn't know that other guys did this too...I used to do this with my old 55,56,57 Chevys "back in the day". Too bad you cant do it to old 'vettes.)

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
He wants an automatic, but for those with 4 speed cars be aware that you may have to lean forward for 1st and 3rd gears since the reach will be further away.

Just a thought because in my car with the seat all the way back (where my legs want it), I still have to reach up for third gear. The comfortable position for shifting is the second-to-last notch, but my knees hit the wheel there.

Maybe my arms are too short?! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts