Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a lot of requests for Big Block lowering spring recommendations, - this is for street driving, not track or autocross use.

For Small Block Camaros I either recommend the Moog 6308, the 6320 is OK for cars that have a bit more weight or want a slightly higher ride height. These usually work as drop-in no-cut coils.

I need a good coil number for a Big Block Camaro. I'd prefer something that is in the 380 to 400 rate and does not need cutting, and is a Moog coil, but let me know of any non-cut solutions short of coilovers.
Thanks, David

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used an uncut Moog replacement for a 69 Z/28. I think I got the # from your site.
This is an aluminum head BB with air (sanden comp.) and PS. It also has all of the RS headlite garb on it. Good ride, no bottoming out, and I hammer it fairly hard.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
David, Ive asked you before, and dont think Ive ever read a conclusive answer. I still need a front coil spring for my 69 COPO clone. Car has headers, no smog, repop curved neck radiator, repop cowl hood, iron block, iron heads, T-400, everything very similar to original.
My first HeartBeat City coils had car too LOW, current McHenry Camaro parts has car too HIGH.....
Anybody reading have real world advice.........

Thanks,

·
Registered
301 Posts
I took a gamble and used a Moog BBC replacment spring - it worked out, but my BBC has aluminum waterpump, intake and heads and It sits higher than I like, but I needed the extra bit of clearance for the 265/50R15s up front... Dont remember the numbers...

·
Registered
23 Posts
why wouldn't you go to a coil over like the QA1's?
this would give you selections of ride height...
is there a con to running coil overs on the street?

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kimcico,
Your question is valid, however I made this thread a sticky for the specific question of what coil spring combo's work for a big block application.

If someone wants to do a coilover conversion, that's a whole different thread, but worth discussion.
David

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
I used an uncut Moog replacement for a 69 Z/28. I think I got the # from your site.
This is an aluminum head BB with air (sanden comp.) and PS. It also has all of the RS headlite garb on it. Good ride, no bottoming out, and I hammer it fairly hard.

What size tire/rim combo are you running ??? Thanks..............alan

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
David, Ive asked you before, and dont think Ive ever read a conclusive answer. I still need a front coil spring for my 69 COPO clone. Car has headers, no smog, repop curved neck radiator, repop cowl hood, iron block, iron heads, T-400, everything very similar to original.
My first HeartBeat City coils had car too LOW, current McHenry Camaro parts has car too HIGH.....
Anybody reading have real world advice.........

Thanks,

Chuck,
Sorry I didn't address you directly, somehow I got the impression you were looking for a correct factory number for a COPO spring.

You might try talking to Eaton Detroit Spring. They did all the GM springs and would be the most accurate source for info.
David

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Going on two years since the last post, still looking for a good number for an iron head BBC equivalent to the 6308/6320. If all else fails, I will try the Moog 638 again, uncut this time. The 638 rate is way soft at 327 lb-in, but cutting one coil off the 638 makes it way low.

Looking for a spring in the 400 lb-in range. Don't want the 600 lb-in Hotchkis or GW springs. I still have the Moog coil spreadsheet sciflyer gave me, but cannot figure out which is right for a BBC application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.